Problem with persistent_config file

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

ghealy
Space Kraken

Problem with persistent_config file

#1 Post by ghealy »

persistent_config.zip
(795 Bytes) Downloaded 146 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (97.95 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
In another thread, I had mentioned I had a problem with my persistent_config file not being recognized or acted upon. It was suggested that I post a new topic and upload my persistent_config file, I am also uploading my config file in hopes it willl be helpful.

What I am attempting to do is position certain windows (such as the sitrep, messages & fleet) where I prefer them (Left side of scree; Message on top, Sitrep below and Fleet at bottom) rather than their default locations.

I'm attempting to upload with this message a screenshot of what I want as well as the persistent_config file. If someone can point pout where I went wrong it would be appreciated.

- Gene

dbenage-cx
Programmer

Re: Problem with persistent_config file

#2 Post by dbenage-cx »

The line endings are DOS, I am guessing you edited this with Notepad or Wordpad? You will want to use a more capable editor for editing files (one which does not change the line endings), one option is Notepad++.
Attached a modified version if it helps. Will update wiki to clarify the notepad/wordpad issue, thanks!
Attachments
persistent_config.xml
(5.62 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Still, FO on Windows should be able to handle DOS line endings in a config file...

ghealy
Space Kraken

#4 Post by ghealy »

@Dbenage: Thanks will give it a try. I actually used a program called NoteTab lite.. Will check out Notepad++ for future use.

Thanks for the help and suggestion

- Gene

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#5 Post by LGM-Doyle »

ghealy, You may need to add the following line just inside of the <UI> tag. It will prevent freeorion from auto-positioning the windows back to the defaults if you resize the window.

Code: Select all

<UI>
         <auto-reposition-windows>0</auto-reposition-windows>

ghealy
Space Kraken

#6 Post by ghealy »

LGM-Doyle wrote:ghealy, You may need to add the following line just inside of the <UI> tag. It will prevent freeorion from auto-positioning the windows back to the defaults if you resize the window.

Code: Select all

<UI>
         <auto-reposition-windows>0</auto-reposition-windows>

Thanks for that heads-up.

- Gene