0.4.6 New Menu Buttons don't work

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

tux
Space Krill

0.4.6 New Menu Buttons don't work

#1 Post by tux »

Hey guys

I recently downloaded the new version (0.4.6) and installed it on Windows Xp. I launched the game, and everything was running fine, but as soon as I clicked on the "Options" button, the game crashed. I launched again, and the same thing happened. This happened with even when I clicked the Single Player button. In fact, the only two buttons which worked were the Exit and Multiplayer button, but after the menu came up on multiplayer, once I began hosting a game, I crashed again.

I looked around the internet, and found a solution involving upgrading my OpenGl. I tried that, but it didn't work.

Any idea what's going on here? I'm running 32-bit windows xp, and I have Intel Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics (sorry, I'm poor). 0.4.5 works fine on it.

Also, here's the log when I clicked on the multiplayer button, but I don't think it'll help.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: 0.4.6 New Meun Buttons don't work

#2 Post by Vezzra »

tux wrote:Also, here's the log
There is no log attached to your post... please try again, without at least the log we can't do anything.

I guess we also need a backtrace to get an idea where the crash happens. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to get that on Windows (I'm on Mac), hopefully someone of our Windows folks can help you out here - anyone? Another approach could be to try to narrow down which change after 0.4.5 caused the program to stop working on your system. As all the test builds that have been provided since 0.4.5 are still available fo download, you could try to install one after another an try to find out which is the first one that doesn't work for you. Of course, that's quite tedious...

All that said, judging by my own experience and the reports we get there seems to be a problem with Intel Integrated Graphics. Apparently OpenGL support for that is not very good... :?

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

Q963/Q965
This isn't a graphic card, but a northbridge/memory controller.
Apparently OpenGL support for that is not very good... :?
It's literally from a previous millenium (Well, almost. At least from a different decade) and horrible outdated.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

tux
Space Krill

#4 Post by tux »

Vezzra wrote:
tux wrote:Also, here's the log
There is no log attached to your post... please try again, without at least the log we can't do anything.

I guess we also need a backtrace to get an idea where the crash happens. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to get that on Windows (I'm on Mac), hopefully someone of our Windows folks can help you out here - anyone? Another approach could be to try to narrow down which change after 0.4.5 caused the program to stop working on your system. As all the test builds that have been provided since 0.4.5 are still available fo download, you could try to install one after another an try to find out which is the first one that doesn't work for you. Of course, that's quite tedious...

All that said, judging by my own experience and the reports we get there seems to be a problem with Intel Integrated Graphics. Apparently OpenGL support for that is not very good... :?
Right, sorry. It's down below now.
adrian_broher wrote:
Q963/Q965
This isn't a graphic card, but a northbridge/memory controller.
Apparently OpenGL support for that is not very good... :?
It's literally from a previous millenium (Well, almost. At least from a different decade) and horrible outdated.
I see. Well that's a bummer.
Attachments
freeorion.log
(7.2 KiB) Downloaded 145 times