Some questions

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

ghealy
Space Kraken

Some questions

#1 Post by ghealy »

First question: Is there any place in the options to increase the size of the ship icons on the galaxy map? I have found where I can increase them in the research window, but not in the galaxy map. Reason for request: We can now zoom out and still see clearly the planet names, but the ships get so small you can not distinguish between ship types.

Second question has to do with creating the research list. I asked awhile back if there was some way we could create a list of items to be researched in the same way we can save window positions in a persistent_config html file. To say that suggestion was not well received, might be an understatement. :)

But I am finding it take way too much time in setting up the game to manually create the list each game. Also find it a pain to have to switch over to add an item at a time while playing the game. (Okay I admit it, I'm lazy) I create the entire list at the start, will move the occasional item up or down. Will add new items not previously on list when absolutely necessary. But mostly my initial list stays pretty much as it was at start of game.

So my question is, where is the list kept, what section of the html program. Would it be possible if after I create a list, I copy that portion to another folder. Then once I start a new game, I would paste the copied list over wherever stub exists normally at the start of the game? Is this something doable, (eve if not desirable by others :) )

Thanks as always for the help . And for creating a super game. The darn thing is extremely addictive. :D

- Gene

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Some questions

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ghealy wrote:First question: Is there any place in the options to increase the size of the ship icons on the galaxy map? I have found where I can increase them in the research window, but not in the galaxy map. Reason for request: We can now zoom out and still see clearly the planet names, but the ships get so small you can not distinguish between ship types.
You can change the minimum zoom for various icon sizes in the Galaxy Map tab in options.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#3 Post by ghealy »

Thanks Geoff. I found the section in the Galaxy Map options. Do I increase the values or decrease them to make the icon appear larger? Sorry, but I don't want to inadvertently screw things up. :?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ghealy wrote:Thanks Geoff. I found the section in the Galaxy Map options. Do I increase the values or decrease them to make the icon appear larger? Sorry, but I don't want to inadvertently screw things up. :?
It shouldn't break anything if you experiment.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

ghealy wrote:Second question has to do with creating the research list. I asked awhile back if there was some way we could create a list of items to be researched in the same way we can save window positions in a persistent_config html file. To say that suggestion was not well received, might be an understatement.
Well, sorry. It's just that there are an awful lot of potentially useful features/tweaks we could add to the game, and there is only so much we can work on with our limited resources/manpower. It more or less boils down to if someone who is able to implement such a feature wants it so much that they start working on it...

ghealy
Space Kraken

#6 Post by ghealy »

@Vezzra: Sorry if I was not clear. I was not, this time around, asking for any mods. But rather asking if it was possible/conceivable for a user to locate where the research list is kept in the html and if yes, would the user than be able to copy a section of that html code to a secondary file so as to copy it back in at the start of each new game, thus avoiding having to create it from scratch each game. I fully recognize the risk that it possible changes could be introduced in updated versions of the game that might change the content/format of the research list. If that was the case, the user could once installing a new beta, create the complete list just once, copy out and copy back in in each successive game of that beta version.

If it is not possible, so be it. Don't hurt to ask. :)

- Gene

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

ghealy wrote:But rather asking if it was possible/conceivable...
FO research is not really set up in the particular fashion you contemplate, but the general feature you are asking for would certainly be possible. I myself already have made some C++ hardcoded customizations to do something very similar to what you are asking for (but not as flexible), and I have periodically mulled over what might be the best way to generalize it and make it more flexible. I have a couple ideas on that, and will probably also take a look at how LGM-Doyle handles his ship design manifest in some PRs he currently put up. I expect that a feature along the general lines you are asking about will make it into the main FO branch one of these days, just not super soon (weeks/months most likely).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

ghealy
Space Kraken

#8 Post by ghealy »

Really appreciate that, Dilvish. It would certainly speed up my game playing. :D When it happens, if it happens, is fine. Again thanks.

- Gene