FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:34 am 
Space Krill

Hello,
I apologizeif there is a thread which currently covers theissue I am having. I quickly scanned thread titles and failed to see on. I am new (great game by the way) and have started to get it. Im now on my 4th game and at cautious and and 65 turns from winning, 3 heads on the spike, and now... each time i try to load the saved game, and all of the autosaves, it gives me a connection to server lost shortly after everything materializes and boots me to the main menu.... What server!? Help!! I really wanted to finish my win! Thankx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:48 pm 
Release Manager, Design

What version/build of FO are you using? Which platform are you on? What are you systems specs?

Also, the log files from immediately after the crash would be very helpful.

damnmulletdesign wrote:
What server!?
FO is a client/server app. The game server is launched automatically in the background when you start a single player game, and based on what you describe my guess is that the server process crashes (for whatever reason). Resulting in the game client to loose connection.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:18 pm 
Creative Contributor

Also, have you downloaded more than one version? (eg the formal Release and a recent test build)

The most frequent cause of that is incompatible saves, because there's so much development savegames are frequently incompatible between versions.

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:59 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

In case you have any trouble locating the log files, their location for the various OS's is described here. freeorion.log is the player log, freeoriond.log (note the "d") is the server log, and the various AI_X.log files are, surprise surprise, the AI log files. It's the player and server logs that would likely be most helpful here.