Cannot load game

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Silverionmox
Space Krill

Cannot load game

#1 Post by Silverionmox »

Attempting to load a game sometimes results in a black screen with cursor. At other times (after quite a long time), results in being stuck at turn x (whatever the turn was of the saved game), with no specific data accessible just the generic tech tree. No stars are visible, just the starry background.

Build 2017-10-08.

Fresh installation. Starting a game works, however, and then playing is possible as normal. Saving works too. Loading does not.

I also had savegames from a previous installation on this system, so it did work at some point, but it didn't anymore.

Win 10 64 bit.
Graphics card updated. Intel drivers updated.
Logs attached.
Attachments
freeoriond.log
(38.23 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
freeorion.log
(47.93 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Cannot load game

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

To clarify, this occurs when loading saves from the same version they were saved with?

Does this occur with default (or any / every) galaxy setup config, including very few stars?

Does it make a difference if, in the options menu Other tab, you enable binary serialization and then start and save a game and load it, or disable compression with XML serialization (with binary off) and then start and save a game and load it?

Relevant bit in freeoriond.log:

Code: Select all

01:38:07.095875 [debug] server : SaveLoad.cpp:386 : Allocating buffers for XML deserialization...
01:38:07.397625 [error] server : SaveLoad.cpp:442 : LoadGame(...) failed!  Error: input stream error

Silverionmox
Space Krill

#3 Post by Silverionmox »

>o clarify, this occurs when loading saves from the same version they were saved with?

Both.

>Does this occur with default (or any / every) galaxy setup config, including very few stars?

Tried a setup with 20 stars and 2 AI: loading succeeded.

>Does it make a difference if, in the options menu Other tab, you enable binary serialization and then start and save a game and load it,

That worked, but it still took a veeeeeery long time.

>or disable compression with XML serialization (with binary off) and then start and save a game and load it?

That worked, but it still took a veeeeery long time.

A combination of both last options worked too, same speed.

All tests performed with the same running instance of the program without closing it and restarting, if that matters.

Is there anything more that can be done to reduce loading times?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

What are your system specs?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

and how big of a galaxy (how many stars/systems) is the savegame for?

(and it strikes me now this and other other galaxy settings would be handy to have printed in the logs when a savegame file is loaded)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:and how big of a galaxy (how many stars/systems) is the savegame for?
Silverionmox wrote:Tried a setup with 20 stars and 2 AI: loading succeeded.
Apparently the issue only turns up beyond a certain map size/number of AIs, meaning, when the savegame file exceeds a certain size. Which would be consistent with the other observations made, that turning on binary serialization or turning off compression also solves the issue. Looks like an issue with compressed XML saves, which is why I asked for the system specs. I suspect a low spec system, we had such issues reported before, but I thought Geoff had fixed those. Apparently not entirely...

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Looks like an issue with compressed XML saves, which is why I asked for the system specs. I suspect a low spec system, we had such issues reported before, but I thought Geoff had fixed those. Apparently not entirely...
I can't fix the system not being able to allocate enough RAM to store the decompressed text from the save file. That being a possible problem is partly why the binary and uncompressed XML options exist; they can stream from disk without needing a buffer in memory to hold the whole compressed and uncompressed XML text so that the compressed buffer contents can be decompressed into the uncompressed buffer contents.

What's odd is the lack of lines in the log about reserving amounts of data in the buffers based on the info in the save, which includes lines about how much data was in the buffers used to store the compressed and uncompressed XML text. The loading code should be getting that from the uncompressed header's save preview section.

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... d.cpp#L385

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote:What's odd is the lack of lines in the log about reserving amounts of data in the buffers based on the info in the save, which includes lines about how much data was in the buffers used to store the compressed and uncompressed XML text. The loading code should be getting that from the uncompressed header's save preview section.
So it is getting into the else clauses as if ignored_save_preview_data.uncompressed_text_size <= 0, right?

If Silverionmox didn't have this problem in the past (that's what I understood from his post), may it be that something is broken in the recent test builds?

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote:So it is getting into the else clauses as if ignored_save_preview_data.uncompressed_text_size <= 0, right?
Seemingly. Feel free to test and report back, perhaps just by opening a recent compressed XML save and looking at what's in the header. (I can't access an FO install right now...)