[LINUX] Statically linked: "garbled text issues"

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

neminem
Space Krill

[LINUX] Statically linked: "garbled text issues"

#1 Post by neminem »

The game pretty much works perfectly on my system (Ubuntu7.10) but I have some garbled text issues in menus and with planet descriptions (which is kindof annoying). Any idea what might be causing it?

kroddn
Static Linker

Re: [LINUX] Statically linked: "garbled text issues"

#2 Post by kroddn »

To help you we need some more information:

- Which version did you download? The sourceforge 0.3.9-2 or a version from psitronic.de?

- Did you change the language? At the moment, only english works perfectly, in other languages you may find missing strings.

- If above does not explain your problem, could you provide some sort of screenshot?

neminem
Space Krill

Re: [LINUX] Statically linked: "garbled text issues"

#3 Post by neminem »

This is cute... I just updated from 7.10 to 8.04 and the problem has dissappeared. I had downloaded the most recent version though, and it seems to be a graphics or rendering issue and not a text issue as such. It also showed the cursor as a black box, and I didn't see the FreeOrion logo at the top, but instead a replica of the main planet screenshot. In any case, problem solved for me.