3256 crash

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

mZhura
Space Kraken

3256 crash

#1 Post by mZhura »

after loading save - just press next turn
Attachments
save.zip
(152.37 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: 3256 crash

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This looks to be a similar problem to several others that have popped up recently... Players are sent universes that contain all the objects they've ever known about, and the AI doesn't know the difference between stuff that used to exist but doesn't now, and stuff that exists on the current turn. As such, it thinks it has ships and fleets available that it doesn't, and tries to do stuff with them, which leads to crashes.

You can see a similar effect in 3256 by dragging your battle fleet onto your home fleet, then ending your turn. Order the home fleet to move, and there's still a fleet icon for the battle fleet, even though it doesn't show up in the fleets window.

This needs to be fixed on two levels - so that orders stuff that doesn't exist doesn't crash things, and so that the AI and UI knows what really exists.

This may make 3256 rather frustrating to test, unfortunately...

mZhura
Space Kraken

#3 Post by mZhura »

here's my 10th turn:
there are strange ship-sign at Spica.
and some starlanes remains visible (marked ~)
while some other are not (marked - - -)

save attached
Attachments
AS_Human_0010.zip
(128.81 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There's probably not much point in testing visibility related issues in 3256 as it's in the midst of an incomplete transition, and the UI and AIs partly can't and don't know how to deal with previously-but-now-not visible stuff properly...

mZhura
Space Kraken

#5 Post by mZhura »

so, than tell me what to focus on? maybe there is some sort of "changes list"? because game itself almost unplayable for now :roll:

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

mZhura wrote: maybe there is some sort of "changes list"?
http://cia.vc/stats/project/FreeOrion/

Geoff's point was not to provide a playable game, but to keep us updated with all the recent changes.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

mZhura wrote:so, than tell me what to focus on? [...] because game itself almost unplayable for now :roll:
I don't know if there's much you can test in 3256 that involves actually trying to play the game. One benefit is that 3256 should be able to read Bigjoe5's latest set of content files that use the new CreateShip effect, so you can look at the stuff he's added or modified.

You can also try playing without any AIs, which should eliminate the crashes they cause, and just work around the phantom fleet icons appearing around the map from your own previously-existing fleets or ships.

Even if it's not much use to further test with, sending this version has already been a useful, in that it revealed the scope of the current problems were a bit larger than I'd noticed and already attempted to work around.

I should probably make a temporary version that uses the old no-memory visibility system, though, which is a relatively simple code change (undoing revision 3247 should work, I think) although is a bit awkward for me to do because I'm in the midst of a bunch of other rewrites that will support the empire memory stuff better. I'll just have to check out a separate copy and build that with the necessary changes.

mZhura
Space Kraken

#8 Post by mZhura »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
mZhura wrote:so, than tell me what to focus on? [...] because game itself almost unplayable for now :roll:
I don't know if there's much you can test in 3256 that involves actually trying to play the game. One benefit is that 3256 should be able to read Bigjoe5's latest set of content files that use the new CreateShip effect, so you can look at the stuff he's added or modified.
understood
Geoff the Medio wrote:You can also try playing without any AIs, which should eliminate the crashes they cause, and just work around the phantom fleet icons appearing around the map from your own previously-existing fleets or ships.
"my 10th turn" in 3rd post here already have no AI's :)
Geoff the Medio wrote:Even if it's not much use to further test with, sending this version has already been a useful, in that it revealed the scope of the current problems were a bit larger than I'd noticed and already attempted to work around.
you're welcome :)
Geoff the Medio wrote:I should probably make a temporary version that uses the old no-memory visibility system, though, which is a relatively simple code change (undoing revision 3247 should work, I think) although is a bit awkward for me to do because I'm in the midst of a bunch of other rewrites that will support the empire memory stuff better. I'll just have to check out a separate copy and build that with the necessary changes.
but that's a regress in development? you don't actually have to worry about my complain of unplayability. AI's for now didn't add much fun so playing without is a good solution. if you want i'll continue with 3256.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

mZhura wrote:but that's a regress in development? you don't actually have to worry about my complain of unplayability. AI's for now didn't add much fun so playing without is a good solution. if you want i'll continue with 3256.
Not really regressing... It's easy enough to switch between the two, and most of the meat of the changes are still there, but just aren't used noticably in 3258, which has the modification I mentioned. The empire-memory-enabled version will be what I use to make further modifications... (and actually, I'll add a compile-time switch to make it simpler to alternate between the two in future, like the already-present switches to make techs or ships cheap and fast to research or build.)

Use the 3258 I sent a few minutes ago.

mZhura
Space Kraken

#10 Post by mZhura »

maybe it's too late but there's crash of 3257:
freeorionca.log not found ai_3.log attached

and by the way: without AI's works well. but there's one thing marked (~) - you see it's my 2nd turn so i cannot know anything about those starlanes - i never visited nearby systems.
Attachments
AI_3.log
(9.05 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

mZhura
Space Kraken

#11 Post by mZhura »

3258 looks exactly the same only now with AI_2
Attachments
AI_2.log
(9.05 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Please include saves and all the log files...

Edit: don't bother, I can reproduce it myself. The starlanes you can see are there because I forgot that the visibility changes I reverted were a bit more complicated than I thought...

mZhura
Space Kraken

#13 Post by mZhura »

please make some on-off switch somewhere in options or in newgame settings for this damned "unknown" thing :cry: i've already had a headache when counting 10-planet-production/minerals/food-balance. i really have no need for any additional difficulties :?

mZhura
Space Kraken

#14 Post by mZhura »

i have a lot of doubt about shown path is fastest :shock:

mZhura
Space Kraken

#15 Post by mZhura »

i guess i found an answer. starlane marked (~) while showing by the UI is still invisible to the AI. somehow