Crash / Windowed Mode

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

strooka
Space Kraken

Crash / Windowed Mode

#1 Post by strooka »

hi there, i ve successfully downloaded, installed, compiled and executed freeorion on my linux plattform now. compiling is there much faster anyway. i'm on implementing a hot seat mode now, cause i think there are numerous people out there who whish to play the game offline with their friends. what do you think?
and about that java option: i've thinked about it.
as it is part of my university education, i'm programming a 3d part in java, i don't know how far you are now with the combat, but i've read that ver 3.13 is made in 2005 and there is still no propper combat now.
if there is no solution in sight, man could invoke a java program which simulates a fight like you invoke the server with xml file command parameters.
i think with blender the meshes could be converted in the lightwave format.

Bugs:
i've found out, that if you want to split your forces over the dropdown menu in orion it crashes.
there is still no option to invoke a fight - this would be important to implement, cause it would make a basic playability be possible.

question:
i've installed the ati radeon fglrx driver and now i can't sart the game in window mode nor i can uninstall it. i think it is the driver. in fullscreen, debugging is not possible.
can you tell me a way to execute it in window mode?

yours

strooka

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Crash / Windowed Mode

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:i'm on implementing a hot seat mode now, cause i think there are numerous people out there who whish to play the game offline with their friends. what do you think?
I don't think it's necessary, because you can have two clients running on the same computer and swap between them to effectively play hotseat.
i've read that ver 3.13 is made in 2005
v0.3.13 was released at the end of May 2009.
if there is no solution in sight, man could invoke a java program which simulates a fight like you invoke the server with xml file command parameters.
i think with blender the meshes could be converted in the lightwave format.
You can write such a program if you want, but it won't be made part of the main FreeOrion program. More useful would be some C++ code that simulates the battle without user input, and outputs the results back to the server. This will be needed long-term to determine the outcome of battles that aren't manually controlled, and would be useful now to make the various parts and hulls and ship statistics more relevant to combat.

We've had various people start making stand-alone programs to work with FreeOrion in the past, but they've mostly been abandoned and left in a useless state. It would be much more helpful to contribute to the actual program so that if / when you decide to move on, there's something left of use. A separate Java program that no-one else knows how to maintain won't be useful.
i've found out, that if you want to split your forces over the dropdown menu in orion it crashes.
If you mean the right-click "Split Fleet" command, it works fine for me in the SVN version... Could you describe the process to produce this crash more specifically?
i've installed the ati radeon fglrx driver and now i can't sart the game in window mode nor i can uninstall it. i think it is the driver. in fullscreen, debugging is not possible.
can you tell me a way to execute it in window mode?
What do you mean by "can't start the game in window mode" ? Does it crash, or does it just always start in fullscreen mode? Did you previously tell it to start in fullscreen and now you can't get it to go back? If that's the case, try deleting your config.xml which should be in ~/.freeorion/ on Linux.

strooka
Space Kraken

#3 Post by strooka »

thx for reply,

ok, my friend and me decided not to implement a hotseat mode.

i've found out that i'll have to set the resolution on custom to get window mode.

i'll start to have a look to the tech demo.

my friend would like to propose race statistics(due to the ones from orion 2)

strooka
Space Kraken

#4 Post by strooka »

i pretend for a round based combat when it is done or an option for it, because there are many old shool users out there who prefer a strategic solution than an ego shoot solution.

what do you think?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

You really should take the time to familiarize yourself with what has been done already and is decided upon. Check out the 0.4 design document and roadmap.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:i pretend for a round based combat when it is done or an option for it...
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

My guess is he means "prefer", not sure though.

strooka
Space Kraken

#8 Post by strooka »

the program crashes when it enters the function Fleet::NumShips out of the func FleetWnd::FleetRightClicked(GG::ListBox::iterator it, const GG::Pt& pt)

another bug: when you try to start a localhost game in multiplayer (hotseat) you have to be online else there is an exception.

strooka
Space Kraken

#9 Post by strooka »

"i pretend"

well, i know my english is really bad, but that did come from my friend who wants to supply the "race statistics" :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by pd »

Dann kurz auf deutsch... Rassenstatistiken(was auch immer du damit meinst) machen zur Zeit einfachen keinen Sinn, siehe Roadmap.

Ich weiss auch nicht was du mit "pretend" in diesem Kontext sagen willst. Der Weltraumkampf wird in einem Hybridsystem aus Rundenstrategie und Echtzeit ablaufen. D.h. das jeder Spieler seinen Zug macht und alle Züge dann gleichzeitig ablaufen. Solche Designentscheidungen sind Resultat ausgiebiger Diskusionen(siehe Game Design/Design Archive/Brainstorming). Subjektive Präferenzen von Einzelnen haben dabei nur wenig Gewicht.

Wie vorhin schon erwähnt, nimm dir die Zeit und mach dich mit dem 0.4. Design Dokument vertraut, bevor du Sachen vorschlägst, die nicht in bisherige Konzepte passen.

strooka
Space Kraken

#11 Post by strooka »

ok, thx nochmal ich nehme mir die zeit. wie im irc steht soll ich hier meine fragen stellen. er meint bei orion 2 das Alienvölkervehalten und wie man es vor einem spiel einstellt. ich weiss, das ist erst in einem anderen versionsstadium dran aber er wollte sich einbringen weil er sich mit den völkern gut auskennt - er hat es bis zum exzess gespielt.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by pd »

Die Sache ist nur, dass wir weder die Rassen aus MoO2 übernehmen, noch irgendetwas über Rassen entschieden ist. Wie sich verschiedene Rassen verhalten und welchen Einfluss das auf das Spiel hat, ist also noch relativ unklar, weshalb ein solches "Menü" auch wenig Sinn macht - zu diesem Zeitpunkt.

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:the program crashes when it enters the function Fleet::NumShips out of the func FleetWnd::FleetRightClicked(GG::ListBox::iterator it, const GG::Pt& pt)
What version are you running? (v0.3.13 or the latest SVN?) I don't get any crashes when I right click on a fleet in the fleets list. Does this always happen, or just sometimes? What fleet (last, first, middle) are you clicking, and did you previous manipulate fleets by making new ones or transferring ships between them, etc. Please give a specific series of steps to reproduce this.
another bug: when you try to start a localhost game in multiplayer (hotseat) you have to be online else there is an exception.
It works fine for me when not connected to any networks... This might be a firewall issue on your system...?

strooka
Space Kraken

#14 Post by strooka »

i have the 3300 build from svn.

look at this func:

ClientNetworking::ServerList ClientNetworking::DiscoverLANServers()
{
assert(!Connected());
ServerDiscoverer discoverer(m_io_service);
discoverer.DiscoverServers();
return discoverer.Servers();
}

in ClientNetworking.cpp,

it asserts if not connected.

also when dbugging and only when debugging the program crashes at here:
file: ServerConnectWnd.cpp
func:ServerConnectWnd::ServerConnectWnd()
layout->SetMinimumRowHeight(2, m_LAN_game_label->Height() + 2 * CONTROL_MARGIN);

it must be changed to:
layout->SetMinimumRowHeight(2, m_LAN_game_label->Height() + (2 * CONTROL_MARGIN));

cause boost 1.38 seems to crash at the + operator.

fleets:
i do only make a quicksart game and the first thing i do is to try to split fleets and it crashes after dragging and after clicking in the menu.

Geoff the Medio

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:

Code: Select all

ClientNetworking::ServerList ClientNetworking::DiscoverLANServers()
{
    assert(!Connected());
    ServerDiscoverer discoverer(m_io_service);
    discoverer.DiscoverServers();
    return discoverer.Servers();
}
I'm building without asserts enabled, so that's plausible. I'm not sure why that assert is necessary, so it could be disabled if that fixes your problem.

Edit: I changed the asserts to error output to the log file. /Edit
also when dbugging and only when debugging the program crashes at here:
file: ServerConnectWnd.cpp
func:ServerConnectWnd::ServerConnectWnd()
layout->SetMinimumRowHeight(2, m_LAN_game_label->Height() + 2 * CONTROL_MARGIN);

it must be changed to:
layout->SetMinimumRowHeight(2, m_LAN_game_label->Height() + (2 * CONTROL_MARGIN));

cause boost 1.38 seems to crash at the + operator.
??? Those should be equivalent according to operator precedence. It may be crashing somewhere else and just seeming to crash at the + ... But does making that change actually fix it? I suppose I wouldn't object to making the change as it's a bit clearer and especially if it fixed a problem for you, but it's quite strange... Edit: Change made /Edit
fleets:
i do only make a quicksart game and the first thing i do is to try to split fleets and it crashes after dragging and after clicking in the menu.
I'm guessing you're not connected to the server and it's crashing when trying to get a new fleet ID. What happens if you try to end turn instead of manipulating fleets?