crash with invalid savefile name

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

planetbaker
Space Floater

crash with invalid savefile name

#1 Post by planetbaker »

The attached file is the crash information I got when I entered an invalid filename (test/2) for saving the game status (Tested with FreeOrion 0.3.13 on MacOSX 10.6.2)

Anything else I can (try to) provide? I looked for a FreeOrion log file, but didn't find any.
Attachments
crash_filename.txt
(50.36 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Unless stated explicitly and differently, any patches or artwork I should post in this forum are licensed under GPL v2 or - at your discretion - any later version of the GPL.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: crash with invalid savefile name

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

On Mac OSX, log files should be located here:

Username/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion/

Attaching the log files, ideally zipped, might be helpful.

planetbaker
Space Floater

#3 Post by planetbaker »

I played around a bit more. It seems it is only triggered, if I chose an existing savefile name and edit that name (to an invalid one). If I just type in an invalid name, I get the "invalid filename" message and fine.

Attached the log. Thanks due to your reply I noticed that it is ~/Library/... and not /Library (where I looked initially when making the 1st posting)
Attachments
filenamecrash.zip
(8.7 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Unless stated explicitly and differently, any patches or artwork I should post in this forum are licensed under GPL v2 or - at your discretion - any later version of the GPL.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

planetbaker wrote:It seems it is only triggered, if I chose an existing savefile name and edit that name (to an invalid one). If I just type in an invalid name, I get the "invalid filename" message and fine.
Could you be a lot more specific about what steps you use to produce this crash? What do you click and type where, in what order, exactly? I've tried starting a game, going into the menu, clicking save, clicking an existing save file, then editing the filename to test/2 or adding /2 at the end of the existing name, but I always get an invalid filename popup when trying to save, and no crash. I'm on windows, though, so it could be a difference between versions...

planetbaker
Space Floater

#5 Post by planetbaker »

I have an existing savegame file called test2(.sav).
Subsequently I tried to save the game under a similar name:
- I clicked on the existing test2.sav
- put the cursor between the characters "2."
- entered "/2" at that location
- pressed "save"

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I can't reproduce that on windows. Perhaps it's OSX specific...?

Regardless, could you add a bug report about this to the sourceforge bug tracker?

planetbaker
Space Floater

#7 Post by planetbaker »

I just found an important piece of information: confirm the filename using return key on the keyboard, don't use the mouse button to click 'save'. In both cases I see an 'invalid filename' message, but in the first case it's the last thing I see. So in order to summarize:

1) make sure to have a savegame called test2
2) load test2
3) open the file menu, choose 'save game'
4) choose 'test2.sav' and insert '/2' between the 2 and the dot or create any other invalid filename
5) press enter & see crash (bus error reported on console)

It worked for me 100% with the attached savegame and 0.3.13.

EDIT:
I made a bug report at sourceforge. And any invalid filename will do.
Attachments
test2.zip
in case it should matter and getting the same amount of messages upon load: my test savegame
(53.49 KiB) Downloaded 53 times