Crash when Completing Production of Custom Ship Design

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Game crashes when "generating growth"

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This seems to be the same crash as this post: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4713

However the problem seems to be more complicated than just making a custom ship design, as I can sometimes make custom ship designs and build the ship, but sometimes it will crash. Most often I seem to get crashes, but I have gotten a custom design to build in one of my tests just now, but I can't figure out what series of steps was required to get it to work. If you could play around with it... adding designs or building predefined designs or trying different combinations of parts, it would be helpful.

DrMario
Krill Swarm

#17 Post by DrMario »

Is there anything I can do about it? I remember clearly the first game this happened to me I made at least 2 custom ships without a problem.

Is there patches for this or maybe a different version I could DL? I ordered MoOII off amazon but I'd like to keep playing this until it arrives.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by pd »

The only thing you can do at this point is going back to an older version. However, there might be bugs in older versions, that are no longer there in the latest version(the one you are using).

DrMario
Krill Swarm

#19 Post by DrMario »

Played around for a bit and found out that it only freezes the game when I try to make anything larger than a small hull ship(custom).

Don't know if this changes anything.

Geoff the Medio

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

That's not consistent with my results. If I start a new game, immediately open design and double click small hull and then laser, create design, go to production, enqueue one, and hit turn 5 times, I get a crash.

DrMario
Krill Swarm

#21 Post by DrMario »

I just played through 2 games with custom ships, but only small hulls would built without a problem. If it would help you I can attach the save files.

Geoff the Medio

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Now I seem to be getting crashes when a custom design ship is finished production that has a laser in its design, but not when a design has no parts or an optical sensor part.

DrMario
Krill Swarm

#23 Post by DrMario »

I can make ships with lasers, just not large ships with anything.

Also Im not sure if I should make a new thread about this or not but I played through the game with variety of number of AI's but they never do anything, at all. Their home planet is were I always find them with the starter ships.

Geoff the Medio

#24 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I can't replicated your problem then. In the FreeOrion_Dr_Terran_0212.zip save file you posted, it works fine if I remove the battleship that completes on the next turn, and add a new ship design that is just an empty medium hull.

Hopefully whatever the problem is for both of us will have the same fix, whenever I get to looking into it (I'm currently doing other fixes), even though the symptoms are apparently different.

About the AI problem: Can you post your AI_1.log from after starting a game with 10 stars and 1 AI and playing a few turns.