Win32: "the application has failed to start"

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Betheball
Space Krill

Win32: "the application has failed to start"

#1 Post by Betheball »

Hi all, I'm having trouble running the game. I have a HD4850 with Catalyst Driver 9.6 and running XP service pack 3. It has .net 2.0 and I am assuming I have OpenGl 2.0 within the Catalyst Driver.

I've downloaded the latest .exe for windows 32 bit. Every time I try to run the game, it says "the application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem" (which doesn't)

I tried finding the .log, which is usually asked for on this forum, but I am unable to find it.

Any ideas out there, I bet it's something simple I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Application Failed?? Can't run game

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This probably isn't due to something you're missing... (that you could be expected to have)

Errors of this sort crop of from time to time, and it's not clear what causes it. You might try previous versions of FreeOrion, in case something that's causing the problem changed relatively recently.

Another idea is to try updating to the latest version of the .NET framework that's available. Since we've switched to building with MSVC 2008, we might actually need a later version of the framework than 2.0. This probably would only show up on Windows XP or 2k, so seems plausible.

Betheball
Space Krill

#3 Post by Betheball »

Ok, thanks, I'll try updating .net framework to the latest and then try previous versions of FreeOrion.

Just another thought, am I right in thinking that the catalysts drivers would include OpenGL 2.0 or better, or do I need to download that separately - just not to sure on that one.

Thanks for the help.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

Betheball wrote:Just another thought, am I right in thinking that the catalysts drivers would include OpenGL 2.0 or better,
That depends on whether the hardware supports it in the first place. What card do you have?

Betheball
Space Krill

#5 Post by Betheball »

Betheball wrote:What card do you have?
A MSI HD4850, pretty new hence my assumption. What do you think?

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

OpenGL support should be built into your video drivers. There's nothing separate to download.
pd wrote:What card do you have?
The first post says it's a Radeon HD 4850, which google suggests should support OpenGL 2.1.

ged
Space Krill

#7 Post by ged »

I had this issue as well.

The best fix is to get vcredist_x86.exe from microsoft.

I had some errors due to installing different versions this was cleared up by uninstalling , removing the FreeOrion folder in program files and reinstalling FreeOrion-0.3.14-Win32-Setup.exe

Seems like the prerequisites actually are:
Visual C++ 2008 and .NET 2.0

Hope that helps someone installing on a fresh computer.
Cheers

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ged wrote:Seems like the prerequisites actually are:
Visual C++ 2008 and .NET 2.0
If you have the redistributables installed (from vcredist_x86.exe, which is included in FreeOrion-0.3.14-Win32-Setup.exe) then you don't need Visual Studio to be installed as well.

The .NET requirement may actually be higher than 2.0, since we're using VC 2008 now, but I haven't seen any specific indication of this or problems due to it in the last few years.