Can't select any items to research. [Mac]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Can't select any items to research. [Mac]

#31 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra wrote:
marcOSX wrote:Where is it announced what is new and what is to be tested?
We don't maintain a change log for each test build. If you want to keep track of the changes you can look here and/or follow the discussions here on the forum.
FWIW, I have that pinned as an AppTab in Firefox and refresh it everytime someone mentions they've done something. This week the main tests are the new combat chuffle randomness and the new chained movement system, plus AI response to the new Supply mechanics and, um, yeah, big week actually.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

marcOSX
Space Squid

#32 Post by marcOSX »

Geoff the Medio wrote:that said, I'm wondering if lowering the FPS actually helps with UI responsiveness? I would have expected the opposite, with higher FPS being more responsive.

I thought the main reason to lower the FPS limit was to reduce the CPU usage by the human client. Rendering more frames per second that you actually need to view the game just uses up more system resources.
Well, on my old mac, lowering the fps did help with the double clicks. BTW I installed and launched build 7136, but it gave me an error loading save file.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

marcOSX wrote:...on my old mac, lowering the fps did help with the double clicks.
Hmm... Surprising, but good to know.
build 7136 ... gave me an error loading save file.
Save compatibility frequently breaks between test versions. This is expected.

marcOSX
Space Squid

#34 Post by marcOSX »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Save compatibility frequently breaks between test versions. This is expected.
OK so now I am building up a new game. Until now I don't see many obvious changes...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#35 Post by MatGB »

marcOSX wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Save compatibility frequently breaks between test versions. This is expected.
OK so now I am building up a new game. Until now I don't see many obvious changes...
1) You can now hold down shift to queue movement and essentially set waypoints to force fleets to go around an obstacle
2) New icons for the Transformer building and Distributed Thought tech
3) When creating a new fleet the default is now "if armed, aggressive, if not, passive" whereas before it defaulted to passive and the only othe roption was aggressive (Geoff, that one's awesome and saves me so much hassle, thanks)
4) Combat has been completely reworked to be a lot less random meaning every ship shoots in a random order each round, with 3 rounds total, this is substantially better than the previous combat system where one ship could theoretically get every shot in a battle (this sometimes happened to me, normally it was the Dyson Forest that got all the shots)
5) The Supply mechanic has been substantially reworked, smaller planets now give a larger supply boost, large and huge planets get a malus, some species get bonuses to their supply as well, a few get a malus—this one's a bit more subtle, but it's also fairly big, and makes tiny planets worth taking just to extend range

Coming up next week:
1) the movement bugs introduced in the above changes should be fixed
2) Robotic Hulls and the basic hulls you start the game with have had their costs adjusted to make them viable choices for building warfleets
3) the Experimentors now issue galaxy wide warnings when they launch a fleet of nasties, said nasties have better explanatory text, defeating the Experimentors generates a victory sitrep (I wrote this, we hope it isn't buggy but needs testing by more people than just me)

And that's just this week. The Changelog for 0.4.4 is going to be massive.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

marcOSX
Space Squid

#36 Post by marcOSX »

MatGB wrote:1) You can now hold down shift to queue movement and essentially set waypoints to force fleets to go around an obstacle
<<<wow this is great. Gonna try it now!
MatGB wrote:2) New icons for the Transformer building and Distributed Thought tech
I just started playing and it is difficult to get to the transformer when the saved games produce errors at load lol.

MatGB wrote:3) When creating a new fleet the default is now "if armed, aggressive, if not, passive" whereas before it defaulted to passive and the only othe roption was aggressive (Geoff, that one's awesome and saves me so much hassle, thanks)
I had the impression that the MacOS version defaulted like that, but I may be wrong.
MatGB wrote:4) Combat has been completely reworked to be a lot less random meaning every ship shoots in a random order each round, with 3 rounds total, this is substantially better than the previous combat system where one ship could theoretically get every shot in a battle (this sometimes happened to me, normally it was the Dyson Forest that got all the shots)
I saw the combat is more related to the fleets. I was thinking the "speed in combat" would determine the order ships shot (like initiative), but it is random?
MatGB wrote:5) The Supply mechanic has been substantially reworked, smaller planets now give a larger supply boost, large and huge planets get a malus, some species get bonuses to their supply as well, a few get a malus—this one's a bit more subtle, but it's also fairly big, and makes tiny planets worth taking just to extend range
This is nice :)
MatGB wrote:Coming up next week:
1) the movement bugs introduced in the above changes should be fixed
2) Robotic Hulls and the basic hulls you start the game with have had their costs adjusted to make them viable choices for building warfleets
3) the Experimentors now issue galaxy wide warnings when they launch a fleet of nasties, said nasties have better explanatory text, defeating the Experimentors generates a victory sitrep (I wrote this, we hope it isn't buggy but needs testing by more people than just me)

And that's just this week. The Changelog for 0.4.4 is going to be massive.
WOW !!!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#37 Post by MatGB »

marcOSX wrote: I just started playing and it is difficult to get to the transformer when the saved games produce errors at load lol.
Fair enough, they're one of my go-to techs for the mid game, try to get them (and stargates) befor eturn 150 whenever possible (it's not always, depends on opposition &c, current game I've only just unlocked them at turn 180ish)—the main reason you want them is deceptive, Force Energy Structures is one of the most crucial techs in the game, and the other immediate prereq is essential to extend supply, once you've got them you're golden.
I had the impression that the MacOS version defaulted like that, but I may be wrong.
I don't think so as it took Geoff coding it specifically, but I've only used a Mac once, recoiled in horror and haven't tried again since ;-)
I saw the combat is more related to the fleets. I was thinking the "speed in combat" would determine the order ships shot (like initiative), but it is random?
Combat speed never did anything—the long term plan was to have a 3D combat system as part of the game, but the people able to develope that drifted away from the project before I got involved, now we're working on getting the game as is better and hoping someone can work on the graphical combat system later, the current combat mechanics were introduced as a fudge to have something there, there're plans for more (there's a current thread on it somewhere) but we don't want to go too fast when we need to get other aspects caught up.

The way it now works as of this release is every ship present is shuffled into a random order, everyone shoots at a random target, then go back to shuffling repeating 3 times. It used to be that you aded up the number of ships, multiplied by 3 to give #rounds and then a random ship was selected to fire in each round—this could mean some ships fired lots while others never let off a volley, and was unsatisfactory, the new version is vastly better but you wouldn't notice it if you're new ;-)
MatGB wrote:5) The Supply mechanic has been substantially reworked, smaller planets now give a larger supply boost, large and huge planets get a malus, some species get bonuses to their supply as well, a few get a malus—this one's a bit more subtle, but it's also fairly big, and makes tiny planets worth taking just to extend range
This is nice :)
It is, indeed, it's a combination of lots of ideas discussed in the forums and seems to make the game more interesting in many ways—I need to do a bit of work on it, there appear to be a few critters missing a supply attribute completely which is annoying.

(as you're new, you might find a thread I put, um, somewhere called scratchnotes for a strategy article useful, I've never gotten around to writing up a "how to play" thing, and the stuff in the Wiki is from 0.4.0, when the AI sat there and did very little, so there's a LOT to learn)

Welcome.
Mat Bowles