Can't select any items to research. [Mac]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

kptom
Space Krill

Can't select any items to research. [Mac]

#1 Post by kptom »

Hello,
Just discovered FreeOrion and downloaded it today. Running into a problem, hope I can find a solution. First of all, here's my specs:
Apple MacBook Air running OS 10.6.8

I downloaded FreeOrion version 0.4.2-5771 from this link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeori ... n%200.4.2/

Here's my problem. I can't seem to place any research in the queue. I open the Research window, decide what I want, and double click on my chosen research item. Nothing happens. The research is not placed in the queue. I tried triple clicking, control clicking (double clicking). Nothing happens.

Anyone hear about such a thing? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I do hope I am not overlooking something simple.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Can't select any items to research. [Mac]

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

kptom wrote:Anyone hear about such a thing?
I don't recall anything similar being reported... doesn't meant it wasn't, though. I think in the latest test build you should be able to shift-click to enqueue instead of double-clicking.

kptom
Space Krill

#3 Post by kptom »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
I don't recall anything similar being reported... doesn't meant it wasn't, though. I think in the latest test build you should be able to shift-click to enqueue instead of double-clicking.

I tried the Shift-click (double clicking, also), still no joy.

I trashed my original download, re-downloaded and re-installed. Still nothing. Later today, I may get a chance to try it on my wife's MacBook Pro. I'll let you know how it goes.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Nope, like Geoff, I can't recall to have ever heard of an issue like that. Like you, I'm on Mac OSX 10.6.8, everything works fine for me. Only difference is I'm on a MBP, not a MBA.

Can you enqueue items in the production queue?
kptom wrote:I tried the Shift-click (double clicking, also), still no joy.
You'll have to download and install the latest test build to try out this feature. It has been added very recently, so that won't work in 0.4.2-5771.

kptom
Space Krill

#5 Post by kptom »

Vezzra wrote:
Nope, like Geoff, I can't recall to have ever heard of an issue like that. Like you, I'm on Mac OSX 10.6.8, everything works fine for me. Only difference is I'm on a MBP, not a MBA.

Can you enqueue items in the production queue?
kptom wrote:I tried the Shift-click (double clicking, also), still no joy.
You'll have to download and install the latest test build to try out this feature. It has been added very recently, so that won't work in 0.4.2-5771.
I just downloaded FreeOrion on my wife's MacBook Pro. It works like a charm!!

In regards to production, it is quite strange... I can build one item (a Scout, for example). Then a few turns later, if I try to build something else (like a Colony ship, for example) nothing goes into the queue.

There must be something odd going on with my MacBook Air. Would it help if I submitted a System Profiler report to you? If so, just let me know where to send it.

I will download the test build now and see how it works.

Thank you for your interest in this matter.

Tom

kptom
Space Krill

#6 Post by kptom »

VICTORY!!!! :o :o

I just downloaded the test build (5905) and it works!!! This is excellent. Thank you again for your assistance in this matter.

Tom

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

kptom wrote:In regards to production, it is quite strange... I can build one item (a Scout, for example). Then a few turns later, if I try to build something else (like a Colony ship, for example) nothing goes into the queue.
It matters what system and planet you have showing / selected. Make sure that it's one where you have a shipyard.
Would it help if I submitted a System Profiler report to you?
No.

VetHockey
Krill Swarm

#8 Post by VetHockey »

After turn 135, I found that I could not select any tech to research. I tried all the things that kptom did also with no luck.

Attached is my turn 135 file.

I play the game on a MacBook running 10.7.5.

Also, I suggest that in addition to double-clicking adding the ability to right-click to choose something.

VetHockey
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
— Benjamin Franklin

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by eleazar »

VetHockey wrote:Attached is my turn 135 file.
Nope, it isn't. Try again.

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Does loading the save reproduce the problem? If not, attaching it won't be of any use.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

VetHockey wrote:After turn 135, I found that I could not select any tech to research. I tried all the things that kptom did also with no luck.

Attached is my turn 135 file.

I play the game on a MacBook running 10.7.5.
Please also state the version of FreeOrion you use. And, as eleazar already mentioned, you didn't attach the save game file. You might have to compress it to be able to attach it to a forum post.

VetHockey
Krill Swarm

#12 Post by VetHockey »

Vezzra, eleazar, Geoff,

I am sorry that the file didn't upload. I thought it did. :oops: I no longer have the file on my hard drive as I deleted my old games and started a new one. Currently I'm playing 0.4.2 rev 5905.
Geoff the Medio wrote:Does loading the save reproduce the problem? If not, attaching it won't be of any use.
Reloading the game file reproduces the problem.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
— Benjamin Franklin

VetHockey
Krill Swarm

#13 Post by VetHockey »

I have now played the game twice since the last post. Each time, after about turn 150, I was unable to select new research. Also I discovered that I could not delete projects in the build cue by double clicking on them. :x

I have saved the game files and logs from both times if you need them.

I strongly urge that the ability to right click on a research or build item be included.

Mark
— Benjamin Franklin

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Posting freeorion.log from a session where you just load a game and attempt to enqueue or dequeue techs, then quit, might be helpful.

There shouldn't be anything special about turn 150, so it might be useful to note and post what changes on between turns / on the turn when you become unable to manipulate the research queue.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#15 Post by Vezzra »

VetHockey wrote:I have saved the game files and logs from both times if you need them.
Yup, that would be helpful. You'll most probably have to compress the game files to attach them to a forum post.

Looks like I might have to look into the matter, as this issue has only been reported on OSX so far. However, I'm short on time ATM, and that's likely to stay so for the rest of the month. In May this will get better, I hope I'll be able to get around to deal with that issue then (unless someone else is able to solve it in the meantime).
I strongly urge that the ability to right click on a research or build item be included.
Depending on the cause of the problem that probably won't solve the issue. The same thing that causes left clicks to stop working might also affect right clicks.