[SOLVED] Weird graphics on freeorion with ATI card

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Rydra
Space Squid

[SOLVED] Weird graphics on freeorion with ATI card

#1 Post by Rydra »

Hi there,

I have freeorion installed on 2 PCs, laptop and desktop. On laptop (with Intel card) it works and shows fine. On the desktop, with an ATI card, mouse and fleet icons are shown weirdly. I attach screenshots of the issue.

Is there any known issue regarding freeorion and ATI cards?

greetings,

Rydra
Attachments
weirdfleet.png
weirdfleet.png (410.61 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Last edited by Rydra on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Weird graphics on freeorion with ATI card

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I've never seen rendering issues like that before (though there have been various others)... Make sure you have updated video drivers.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

As an ATI card owner I'm not aware of that issue. Do you use fglrx or the open source ati driver?
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Rydra
Space Squid

#4 Post by Rydra »

adrian_broher wrote:As an ATI card owner I'm not aware of that issue. Do you use fglrx or the open source ati driver?
I'm using fglrx (extract from /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Also my ATI card use legacy drivers on ubuntu as it is a Radeon HD 4350 (I think those are not updated anymore, they are ubuntu-amd-catalyst-install and fglrx-amdcccle-legacy packages, which they are installed on my system)

adrian_broher
Programmer

#5 Post by adrian_broher »

Rydra wrote:Also my ATI card use legacy drivers on ubuntu as it is a Radeon HD 4350 (I think those are not updated anymore, they are ubuntu-amd-catalyst-install and fglrx-amdcccle-legacy packages, which they are installed on my system)
If you're using the legacy fglrx driver I would suggest to move to the open source drivers. I know when I used the fglrx (a long long time ago…) issues like image corruption as the one in the screenshot were daily business (alongside with the biweekly spontaneous X11 hangups and crashes ;) ).
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Rydra
Space Squid

#6 Post by Rydra »

adrian_broher wrote:
Rydra wrote:Also my ATI card use legacy drivers on ubuntu as it is a Radeon HD 4350 (I think those are not updated anymore, they are ubuntu-amd-catalyst-install and fglrx-amdcccle-legacy packages, which they are installed on my system)
If you're using the legacy fglrx driver I would suggest to move to the open source drivers. I know when I used the fglrx (a long long time ago…) issues like image corruption as the one in the screenshot were daily business (alongside with the biweekly spontaneous X11 hangups and crashes ;) ).
I uninstalled fglrx and installed the OpenSource ATI drivers and now graphics are shown fine! The downside is that performance of demanding 3D like Amnesia or any other FPS decreased dramatically, but ohhh well... I'll have to balance those situations.

The steps I followed to uninstall and reinstall the ATI drivers are found here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... st.2Ffglrx

I mark this post as solved.

PD: Btw, is it normal that the full research tree and the game in general consumes so much CPU? It's always at 100% and I don't think it requires so much 3D rendering... and graphics are not smooth on ATI OS drivers :(

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Weird graphics on freeorion with ATI card

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You can limit the FPS in the video options tab. It doesn't actually work correctly to produce the requested FPS, but setting a limit should reduce CPU use doing unnecessary rendering.

Rydra
Space Squid

#8 Post by Rydra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:You can limit the FPS in the video options tab. It doesn't actually work correctly to produce the requested FPS, but setting a limit should reduce CPU use doing unnecessary rendering.
Limit was already enabled, though I'm already experiencing 20 FPS with ATI opensource drivers(though corrupted graphics, fglrx provided more performance up to those 60 FPS). I think it is a graphics card issue and nothing can be done about that.

Parjánya
Space Krill

#9 Post by Parjánya »

I've just fixed this issue by updating the proprietary driver to version 1:13.11~betav9.4-1 from testing, on Debian wheezy.