Solved!!! can't colonize a planet, w/ george in ver 0.4.3

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

snigolnikwef
Space Krill

Solved!!! can't colonize a planet, w/ george in ver 0.4.3

#1 Post by snigolnikwef »

having a problem settling a planet,,,,,,,, with my primary species, settled another planet in the same system w/ my secondary species. including the save file & sys info (note I have to run the game in full screen mode (due to open gl issues)).

The system name is chara, and the colony ship in question is in orbit, and will acknowledge the order to colonize the Large tundra planet, but will fail to do so. The ship will colonize any other planet,,,,, but no luck on this one, I have ran the game farther sending other ships by the george species to colonize,,,,, & no dice. I am quite baffled :?: Any insights would be most appreciated. using latest stable release of the game, all info should be below.

Game version 0.4.3
Computer System information
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OWNER3-PC
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Compaq dx2450 Microtower
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1300, 2300 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.60, 2/20/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name owner3-PC\owner3
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.69 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.95 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.88 GB
Page File Space 3.17 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Attachments
FreeOrion_Another_Who_0038_20130930_1959320-sav.txt
autosave file give it the correct extension, duh!
(206.7 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Last edited by snigolnikwef on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Can not colonize a planet, w/ george species in ver 0.4.

#2 Post by AndrewW »

This might be a case of the planet is already settled but has a stealth higher then your empire detection strength.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Most likely the planet is stealthed to you -- are there scanlines across the planet image? That would mean it's stealthed to you. I recommend you download one of the more recent test versions (use the full installer) -- the more recent versions have some informative tooltips if a planet is stealthed to you, and won't let you attempt a colonization in that event. There are some native species that sometimes stealth there planet, and there is a stealthy space monster that also sometimes stealths planets -- once you research some more detection technology (in the "Intelligence" category) you'll be able to see the planet and invade or colonize.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Had to reinstall that version to get it to work, it timed out on my other two installs, but the save has loaded for me and yeah, there's a species living there that're hiding from you, it's a known UI issue that's being worked on by someoen to make it less confusing, both to remove the colonise option and to make stealth more visually obvious, I've been caught out by that one more than once.

Screenshot attached, if you look where my poiinter is, you can see the planet is blurry, that's the current game method for showing you can't see the planet properly, in this case it has to be becuase it's inhabited-another obvious tell is that the planet name is italicised, making it a homeworld.

I suspect, strongly, that it's full of Furthest, a not awful native species that'll happily sit there and work for you when you've captured them.

One, obvious, and MASSIVE problem for you in this game is, um, you haven't started researching anything yet. It's turn 38. The AIs are going to slaughter you.

I strongly recommend restarting on the same settings (remember where the cool stuff is), and make sure you queue some research early (and set your homeworld to research for a few turns to give you a boost), you need to get Nacent Artificial Intelligence and Subterranean Habitation incredibly early, and almost certainly Organic Hull, Active Radar (you'll need that to spot the Furthest and conquer them) and then some decent weapons, armour, etc.

The game's got a fairly steep learning curve, but it's worth it, but like I say, there are critters there to conquer when you've got better scanners, it's in the early stages, restart, do some research and have some fun...

ETA: restart, get SubHab, then you can colonise the Huge desert at Mimosa-the growth techs are very useful in the game, more population is more production, etc...
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

snigolnikwef
Space Krill

#5 Post by snigolnikwef »

:o :o you know I see quite a few posts answered, with "invisible space monsters". ROTFLMAO. or in this case invisible native species. don't think my computer displayed a blurred out planet, as shown in the screen capture. will run through again to check the saved game(note the test box resides 200 meters from here), then update to latest build & try again.

About the subteranean habitat, was doing that when I got OCD derailed onto 'settle this planet syndrome'. in fact I have heavily mapped the pop growth options, as those options can turn everything but gas giants into home. And after a few games with 50 + gas giants, i have pondered building a gas giant loving race, just saying. If i can produce 200 laser I MarkI's then the computer will choke on them no matter how powerful its deathrays.

Signed Me,
Quantity has a quality all its own.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

snigolnikwef wrote: About the subteranean habitat, was doing that when I got OCD derailed onto 'settle this planet syndrome'. in fact I have heavily mapped the pop growth options, as those options can turn everything but gas giants into home.
Been there more than once. I'm actually playing your game through, I was right, it was Furthest, there's another planet with them on in Rhampora. Always use your full research points, for a start extra population and extra industrial output give you more shipbuilding ability ;-)
And after a few games with 50 + gas giants, i have pondered building a gas giant loving race, just saying.
Working one one of them, really difficult to balance though, they're really overpowered in my current tests.
If i can produce 200 laser I MarkI's then the computer will choke on them no matter how powerful its deathrays.
Actually, you've set the game up with no AIs, but...

I lost all the ships you'd built at this point in the same within a few more turns, one of the small snowflakes matured into a fully mature one (which happens randomly) and they got eaten.

You need at least laser2 to have a chance versus sentries and plasma+decent armour to take down sentinels, plus there are two drone factories, which have deflector shields, mass drivers and lasers don't get through them...

(but yeah, stealth is a nicely done mechanic within the game but the UI isn't as good as it will be in showing it, yet)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Solved!!! can't colonize a planet, w/ george in ver 0.4

#7 Post by MatGB »

Also, um, once you've scouted the map, and improved your detection, you need to keep an eye on Heimdall system. Soon after turn 200, things might get a bit sticky in that general area ;-)
Mat Bowles

winter leaf
Space Floater

Re: Solved!!! can't colonize a planet, w/ george in ver 0.4

#8 Post by winter leaf »

Yeah,I haven't played the map,put I think I've figured out what mat is talking about already...are there any species called Experimentors around there?If so,watch out for...............REALLY tough.............things :wink:
|I enclose this message in a text box|
Also( YES,not in a text box ) I release graphics,code,and other things under the licences used by this forum. :)