Scanner stacking

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Scanner stacking

#1 Post by MatGB »

I have accientally built a bunch of Spacial Fluxx scouts with Neutron Scanners and Active Radar instead of the planned NS + Armour.

Despite having two scanning units, they're only taking the bonus from the Active Radar, meaning their vision is distinctly poor. It's another stacking group issue where the first affect that triggers gets the bonus, is there now a way this can be resolved and/or would reordering the datafile work?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Scanner stacking

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Maybe reordering the parts in the design (ie. which slot each part type is in) might make a difference... But to robustly fix that sort of issue, I think you'd need to script the bonuses to check if the design has another part and adjust the effects accordingly.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

My thinking is you wouldn't, deliberately, put two different scanners on a ship but might by accident (as I have), but we shouldn't actively punish someone by only having the worst part work. I've tried reordering in the parts text file, I think a rescripting is in order.

Can get them to check fairly easily (I think), but is it worth redoing them so it's just one part that takes the bonus from the best tech available? I think you've mentioned elsewhere that'd be your preferred approach for scanners &c, possibly in the premade ships thread, and I think I'd prefer that as well.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:...is it worth redoing them so it's just one part that takes the bonus from the best tech available?
Eventually, but not before the next release.