cant create solo player game with more than zero AIs

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

aineko
Space Floater

cant create solo player game with more than zero AIs

#1 Post by aineko »

hi, i got the latest sdk, checked out and compiled rev. 6502 (msvc), tried to start single player game, but it only starts generating a map and lets me play it when there are no AIs. as soon as i try to start a game with more than zero AIs, the "messages" and "empires" windows dont appear and it stays all black.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: cant create solo player game with more than zero AIs

#2 Post by Dilvish »

I don't think that's happening to folks in general (though it's one of the common types of problem folks can sometimes run into). The top thread in the Support Board mentions some ways to get info that will help us help you. In particular, attaching the logfiles could help (that thread has instructions on where to find them), and if you start the game from a command line instead of via a shortcuts menu or desktop icon, you might get some kind of error message to help sort things out.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: cant create solo player game with more than zero AIs

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If the AI processes can't be started, it usually has something to do with your local Python installation interacting badly with the build or attempts to load Python during the game startup. Logs would be helpful, though.