Crossing Starlanes

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

shawndream
Space Kraken

Re: Crossing Starlanes

#16 Post by shawndream »

You are doubly right.

It seems stars average the same number of starlanes regardless of galaxy size (roughly 1.5 times the number of stars maybe), and checking for crossing and too closeness would this scale absolutely linearly with galaxy size.

I thought it was wasteful to check hundreds of stars and hundreds of lanes when you should only need to check a few, but the purpose of this function is to allow toying with starlanes in game.

If you have already been playing with starlanes, you might have severed some OTHER stars and lanes from the main network you are testing (besides your new goal), in which case, checking the topological network connected to your endpoint is not sufficient. The path around it may not cross your target, but some other lane disconnected from either end might.

So testing just the space containing your endpoints is much faster, but more complicated and also not good enough.
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

OllyG
Space Kraken

Re: Crossing Starlanes

#17 Post by OllyG »

As well as crossing another starlane I think that the starlane from Rhampora to Gacrux is too close to Alhena (see the screen shot from one of my posts higher up). It shouldn't touch the circle drawn around the star (especially since the circle and the starlane are the same colour and thickness).