Unable to Colonize Huge Tundra Planet

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

pdesrivieres
Space Krill

Unable to Colonize Huge Tundra Planet

#1 Post by pdesrivieres »

In the attached saved game for a Free Orion v0.4.3 game running on WinXP SP3, I'm unable to colonize Naos II. Naos II is a huge tundra planet and I'm colonizing using a ship loaded with species George that favors type tundra. The [Colonize (3.0 / 25)] button appears, I click on it and it changes to [Cancel Colonization]. On the next turn the planet should be colonized but instead the [Colonize (3.0 / 25)] button is back!

https://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/bugs/551/
Last edited by pdesrivieres on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Unable to Colonize Huge Tundra Planet

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

See this thread which has a very similar sounding problem and explanation.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

pdesrivieres wrote:In the attached saved game for a Free Orion v0.4.3 game running on WinXP SP3, I'm unable to colonize Naos II. Naos II is a huge tundra planet and I'm colonizing using a ship loaded with species George that favors type tundra. The [Colonize (3.0 / 25)] button appears, I click on it and it changes to [Cancel Colonization]. On the next turn the planet should be colonized but instead the [Colonize (3.0 / 25)] button is back!
Aye, as Geoff said, the answer I gave in the thread Geoff links to is correct for this as well, it's a known issue that's, basically, fixed in the most recent test versions.

If you look at the planet, two things will be obvious, the first is that the planet itself has scanlines, which means it's stealthed, the second is that the name of the planet itself is in italics, that means it's a homeworld for some species or other.

Basically, you need better detection tech than Active Radar, Neutron Scanner would be enough but with your research output at this stage I'd be lookign at also having Sensors then you can see all but the rarest of critters.

If you want, the most recent test version is stable (I've been playing it all week except when filling in job applications) and, while it won't work with your existing savegames, does have a fix for this in which a) the colonisation button won't show for planets youc an't see and b) there's a tooltip telling you the stealth exceeds your detection ability. Download it from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeor ... rion/Test/

I get the most recetn test version every week, sometimes it doesn't work properly but reporting that helps the team anyway ;-)

Some advice: I'd have taken Quantum Networking a lot earlier, your research output would now be close to 1000 if you'd got that and the other techs you'd have also acquired as a result. Also, Ancient Ruins planets are awesome for research, tell those Abadonni to build three cryo bases to fill that system up, including the toxic and radiated world, their' "bad research" malus is more than beaten by their population and the ancient ruins bonus.

QN isn't my highest priority but it is a very early target for me, always, as it's the cheapest research boost and it'll get you to the others fast, I normally aim to get it at roughly the same time as Lifecycle Manip.

Hope all that helps.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

pdesrivieres
Space Krill

#4 Post by pdesrivieres »

Thanks for the tips. Building an Interstellar Lighthouse on Naos III allowed me to overcome the Furthest's 40 stealth and detect them.