Game not Starting

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

seduraed
Space Krill

Game not Starting

#1 Post by seduraed »

I am running a system on an easynote using linux trusty tar . Free orion is included in canonical downloads. nothing happens when I click on the Icon . Any advice?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Game not Starting

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Search google for "freeorion ubuntu won't start" or similar?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Try opening a terminal and running it that way, might put out a useful error message.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

the fourth link (for me) down in in the results from Geoff's suggested search leads to the Ubuntu Launchpad search page for ubuntu freeorion bugs, which in turn leads to this bug report, which sounds like yours. One of our contributors Apo (there as Markus Koschany), who is the one dealing with packaging freeorion for Debian, notes that in Trusty the version of Ogre provided has advanced past that which the freeorion package needs. There may be a bit of a lag before those packages get back in sync. It looks like he made a suggestion or two there on how to possibly fix it, but no one has responded with results yet. If his ideas solve the problem for you please be sure to let us know (and ideally at the launchpad site as well).

It's also not too difficult these days to do the compilation yourself; instructions are here.
Last edited by Dilvish on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Apo
Space Squid

#5 Post by Apo »

seduraed wrote:I am running a system on an easynote using linux trusty tar . Free orion is included in canonical downloads. nothing happens when I click on the Icon . Any advice?
As Dilvish pointed out correctly, FreeOrion won't start in Ubuntu Trusty due to a bug in one of its dependencies, Ogre. Unfortunately I can't fix it myself since I'm not a Ubuntu developer but if you log into launchpad and click on "This bug affects me", the chances are higher that someone with upload rights will fix it.

In the meantime please try the following:

Edit /usr/share/games/freeorion/ogre_plugins.cfg manually and change the value of PluginFolder for amd64 (64bit) to

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/OGRE-1.8.1

or for i386 (32bit)

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/OGRE-1.8.1

I hope that helps

seduraed
Space Krill

#6 Post by seduraed »

/usr/lib/freeorion/pkgconfig
/usr/lib/freeorion/freeorion
/usr/lib/freeorion/freeorionca
/usr/lib/freeorion/freeoriond
/usr/lib/freeorion/libfreeorioncommon.so
/usr/lib/freeorion/libfreeorionparse.so
/usr/lib/freeorion/libGiGi.so
/usr/lib/freeorion/libGiGiOgre.so
/usr/lib/freeorion/libGiGiOgrePlugin_OIS.so

as i am a complete novice with ubuntu i followed the instructions to usr/lib/freeorion and the only files prent in that folder are those listed above any further advice would be gratefully recieved

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

seduraed wrote:as i am a complete novice with ubuntu i followed the instructions to usr/lib/freeorion and the only files prent in that folder are those listed above any further advice would be gratefully recieved
Which instructions are you referring to? If it's the ones on that bug report page for redirecting the Ogre plugin search, then you might have not yet installed Ogre-1.8.1 or yours might be installed to a different location. To check if you have it, try

Code: Select all

locate Plugin_BSPSceneManager.so
and see if you have it an Ogre-1.8 (or Ogre-1.8.1) directory somewhere, and then use that directory in ogre_plugins.cfg

If you don't have any version of Ogre yet installed, then you could try

sudo apt-get install libogre-1.8-dev
locate Plugin_BSPSceneManager.so
Please let us know how that works for you.

Another alternative would be to do a custom build of Ogre 1.8.1 and of Freeorion. Even as an Ubuntu novice it should be manageable. The basic instructions would be to install subversion via

sudo apt-get install subversion
and then get the freeorion source code as specified here. Then follow the compile instructions here making particular note of the Ogre instructions here
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0