Design window multi-character typing bug (was multi-screen)

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Design window multi-character typing bug (was multi-scre

#31 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Once you have a chance to test it out, please let me know if it really does solve the problem well.
Ok, I don't know what's going on :?

All of a sudden, I don't get the multi character typing issue anymore, regardless if the dynamic option is enabled or not. Typing is of course more laggy with dynamic on, but I don't get multiple characters per keystroke anymore. But I definitely had the problem until recently, I got it in my last test game with the new colonization mechanics.

What I did notice however was that this check apparently does not prevent the player to make multiple designs with the same design name. It only updates the design name displayed in the pedia window. Wasn't preventing duplicate design names one of the reasons for the check...?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#32 Post by MatGB »

IIRC, whoever wrote it (Mitten.O?) likes to have new ships of the same name as older ships so wanted to ensure you weren't duplicating a design (which it does) but wasn't bothered about name. I can see the appeal to just call all your scout ships "scout" but prefer unique names myself.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#33 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:IIRC, whoever wrote it (Mitten.O?) likes to have new ships of the same name as older ships
Eh? No, I'm the one who wrote it. And I don't name new designs the same as an old one unless I'm just fixing a mistake in a design I just made. There was a lot of discussion about what should be enforced; the final set of rules were not how it started out.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#34 Post by MatGB »

That's wierd, I was sure it was someone knewish that suggested it as one of their early submissions. My memory's getting worse, ah well, it matters not, sorry for the misattribute ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.