Slow Adding/Removing Items From the Production Queue

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

pdesrivieres
Space Krill

Slow Adding/Removing Items From the Production Queue

#1 Post by pdesrivieres »

I'm playing v0.4.3 on a MacBook Pro (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7) running OSX 10.8.5. The Universe has 300 systems and by turn 128 my empire has around 150 colonies/outposts. Whenever I try to add or remove an item from the production queue (containing over a hundred entries), the game freezes for about 5 seconds! Is this late game slow down expected? Has it been resolved in the builds since the release of v0.4.3?

Paul D.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Slow Adding/Removing Items From the Production Queue

#2 Post by MatGB »

That's the sort of lag I get/got on Windows once I got past 150 systems (which is why I tend to play Low Planet galaxies these days, I prefer the tactics anyway, but it allows me to have much bigger maps). I did find saving, exiting and reloading would reduce it (there's a memory leak), but that might not work on Mac and also I think work's been done to plug the leaks.

Once something is in the queue you can right click on it to move it up or down the list now (that was requested partially due to lag problems), I do think it'd be good to also allow right click/add to top/bottom in the list of things you can select to build but that'd be beyond me.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Slow Adding/Removing Items From the Production Queue

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There have been numerous changes since v0.4.3 that were intended to (in part) speed up the updates of the production queue after making changes.

Regardless of that though, I suggest using one of the recent test builds due to the numerous other changes since v0.4.3.