Can I rename home star?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Can I rename home star?

#16 Post by MatGB »

Answering what I can, but not everything as some I don't know.

The default AI was beginner for ages, it was changed to Maniacal as that's what most of us play, and if you install the test release every week it sets itself to the defaults every time, so we decided to set it to recommended, not beginner, as a new player is, um, more likely to change all the settings lots until they stop dying ;-) (I'm actually thinking 0.4.4 should default to beginner for the official release but I like it as is for the tests). FWIW, it's not really a 'difficulty' setting, it shouldn't, in theory, be easier to win regardless of setting, it'll just be harder to lose (and even I sometimes lose, which is a Good Thing ;-) )

If you're using both monsters and specials at high levels, then they are random, I restarted the same seed multiple times last night to test somethign and each time the Sentry layout at a nearby system was different, so it's not always the same, just the galaxy structure.

The quickstart page in the Wiki is horrifically outdated and written for version 0.4.0, when the AI didn't actually do anything, the actually competetive AI was coded and introduced by Dilvish in IIRC 0.4.2, not that it matters, it is now actually quite good, can defeat you if you make bad choices or get a bad start (random generation, sometimes oyu are just doomed) and can definitely defeat other AI players (you get told when an AI loses their homeworld but there's nothing in game (yet) that triggers for complete defeat of an empire, there probably should be).

i don't know the difference between AI modes that well, I assume Beginner is less aggressive but that's an assumption, Dilvish?

If you hover over a species in the selection area at game start it should give you a popup summarising their main in game traits, I hope at some point to expand on that for a Wiki articile or something but, well, I'm normally either coding something or playing. To be honest, mostly playing, and I keep forgetting.

I already said Chato are the best starting race. The absolute hardest to play are Egassem, avoid them, the rest are fairly balanced but some aren't quite as balanced as others, if you want to be almost completely safe from AI conquest in the early game Laenfa can be good, they hide so well their planets can't be attacked for ages. But they're otherwise not so good, low research output is their biggest drawback. I love them, but they take practice to actually win with.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

maxand
Space Floater

#17 Post by maxand »

Thanks GeoffTM and MatGB. It all makes much more sense now.

Still would like to model our solar system as a home star if anyone knows how. Maybe later...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by MatGB »

I would say later, or ask Vezzra who coded the (still unfinished) scripted universe creation, the plan is if I understand it properly to allow a fully scripted (designed) galaxy eventually, but it's not ready yet.

If you fancy learning Python you could help ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

maxand wrote:Still would like to model our solar system as a home star if anyone knows how.
Edit UniverseGenerator.py

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#20 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:i don't know the difference between AI modes that well, I assume Beginner is less aggressive but that's an assumption, Dilvish?
There are a few ways that the AI's step up in 'Aggression' as you go from Beginner to Maniacal. A key difference is mostly a style difference -- how much perceived excess fleet strength does the AI require before it will attempt an attack on a given target. That probably has some correlation to difficulty since the ultra cautious ones would probably have their expansion slowed below optimum, but it's not a clear direct connection. Many other differences were indeed selected to make the lower aggression levels easier to beat, just subject to a plausible characterization as being related to degree of risk-taking. The more cautious AIs won't pursue the most productive Industrial techs (which appear risky to cautious minds :D ). Some will delay the earliest point at which they might invade a neighbor, and they will also limit their rate of acquiring/founding new colonies. The most cautious ones also won't field the most powerful ship designs.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
maxand wrote:Still would like to model our solar system as a home star if anyone knows how.
This.

Maxand, what you want to achieve should already be doable with the current state of the Python universe generation implementation.

You need to dig through some not too easily comprehensible Python code though. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

maxand
Space Floater

#22 Post by maxand »

I've dabbled a bit in C++-like programming languages but always wanted to learn something completely different and challenging. Maybe this is the excuse I need to dip my toes into Python. I see there are several subforums here for programmers, scripts, etc. First thing I guess will be to see how much of FO uses scripts and how much is compiled. Wish me luck guys and thanks again for all your helpful suggestions!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#23 Post by Dilvish »

maxand wrote:I see there are several subforums here for programmers, scripts, etc. First thing I guess will be to see how much of FO uses scripts and how much is compiled.
The FO framework is such that pretty much all the content details are in user editable files, mostly split up between python files for Universe generation and the AI, and FO custom script (we're calling it FreeOrion Content Script FOCS) files for pretty much all the content. They are uucode text files (use notepad++ or some other medium-to-high end file editor). An only somewhat stale description of the scripting language can be found here. The forums designated as "Scripting" forums focus on the FOCS content scripts, not any of the python scripts.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

maxand
Space Floater

#24 Post by maxand »

Thanks Dilvish - big help.