Game randomization question

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

maxand
Space Floater

Game randomization question

#1 Post by maxand »

If I reuse the same seed, and keep the number of AI players constant when setting up (so that the starting system is the same), does FO randomize each new game, so that, for example, AI players don't keep appearing at the same system each time? That would be more fun. I'm not sure how much randomization is obligatory in each new game. I'd like to keep the home starting system the same and (probably) the general starmap in that vicinity, but I'd also like to see some variation in the AI empires.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Game randomization question

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

maxand wrote:If I reuse the same seed, and keep the number of AI players constant when setting up (so that the starting system is the same), does FO randomize each new game...
The same seed and galaxy setup settings will reproduce the same game situation. That's part of the point of using seed numbers; to be able to reproduce a galaxy starting situation.

If you want a different game, use a different seed or settings.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

One thing I think we need to change or augment is how number of systems is recorded in the Galaxy Setup Info. Right now it only reports the actual final number of systems generated, which may be less than the original number requested due to placement conflicts. If a new galaxy is then created with that lower number of systems, it could easily wind up with even fewer placed systems. The Galaxy Setup Info should probably record both the target number of systems and the actually placed number of systems.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

That I wasn't aware of at all, and yes, it definitely should, I had assumed the display was what I'd put in, not what had come out the other end.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:The Galaxy Setup Info should probably record both the target number of systems and the actually placed number of systems.
Currently the universe generation script writes the number of actually placed systems back to the galaxy setup data record. The reasoning behind that is in case content scripts use this value they should get the actual number of systems, not the number requested. OTOH, usually the difference shouldn't be too much, so the simplest solution for now would be to not write the actual number of systems back.

Thoughts?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:...the simplest solution for now would be to not write the actual number of systems back.
If you know the place to make that change, it's probably fine to do so. I wouldn't think any scripts actually use that info yet anyway...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Vezzra wrote:...the simplest solution for now would be to not write the actual number of systems back.
If you know the place to make that change, it's probably fine to do so. I wouldn't think any scripts actually use that info yet anyway...
Done, commit#7262 (and #7263).