Missing 'Victory!' message?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Foocaux
Space Squid

Missing 'Victory!' message?

#1 Post by Foocaux »

Hi!

First of all, thanks everybody in the development team for this great game, I just discovered it (where have I been the last 10 years? :) ) and I'm simply amazed at how good it is, and it's only a .43 release!

I've got a somewhat older windows PC, so to be on the safe side my first game had 50 star systems & 4 AIs, which I'm very pleased to say I managed to vanquish after 'some' struggle and 'not a few' hairy moments.

When it happened, however, I totally missed the historic moment. I didn't notice anything inside SitRep, and since there were a couple of (previously unhinabited) gas giant systems out of scanners range which my scientists informed me could have been terraformed & transformed into strongholds of the Panarchy!

I madly rushed there with the nearest available ships, to get at least some info on the pending - and dreaded - sneak attack!

Nothing there after all, but there were plenty of red faces all 'round at my general staff meeting that day, I can tell you that! :)

Are there plans to have a 'Victory!' pop up message after defeating all enemy empires?
I seem to remember in MOO there was a 'congratulations' pop up whenever a victory condition was achieved.
Maybe a few words from the empire archivists would be fitting for FO too.

I've also noticed (but not researched yet) the singularity of trascendence tech: its byline reads 'Brings Victory!'.
I'm assuming that when the tech research is complete FO will indeed show a pop up and declare the game won. Maybe the same pop up could be used in both cases (and for other victory conditions too, of course).

Anyway, for my second game I'm playing a 150 stars galaxy, 8 AIs game, and I'm close to turn 300, and things have started to slow down terribly, I just searched the forum and found the Speeeed! thread, which led me to discover the 'nighty builds'. I'm now downloading 7278-test. I'll check things out with that version of FO, and will write on the Speeeed! thread anon! :)

Cheers,

Mike
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Missing 'Victory!' message?

#2 Post by MatGB »

There are plans for a sitrep when you've completed a conquest victory, but it's not been implemented yet—you get one for researching Transcendance, and youg et one for capturing the Experimentor Outpost (that one took some work, and I learnt a lot about sitrep coding doing it) but there's none for the other, most common, victory condition yet.

I'm sorta working on it but other things took priority.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Foocaux
Space Squid

#3 Post by Foocaux »

Thanks for the heads up, and for the extra info: experimentor outpost? Sounds intriguing!

I've much to learn about FO! :D

PS: I'm not entirely surprised other things did take priority, this baby's HUGE!
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Chriss »

If you did not already, try the development releases - the lates "stable", aka 0.4.3 without a + and svn revision number is quite old and outdated.
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Foocaux
Space Squid

#5 Post by Foocaux »

I've discovered rev7278 & I've been 'rigourously testing the software' for the last couple of evenings.

Aaand there's a new version up! :)

Ok, once I've finished my current game - err, I mean 'rigourous test' - I'll give rev7311 a whirl! :D

winter leaf
Space Floater

#6 Post by winter leaf »

There are plans for a victory message,some already completed.There are things like the SitRep icon in the game files,and there are the Techs too.we have not implemented it itself though.
|I enclose this message in a text box|
Also( YES,not in a text box ) I release graphics,code,and other things under the licences used by this forum. :)