recover game state after crash?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

recover game state after crash?

#1 Post by coCoKNIght »

Hi, I was playing a multiplayer game when the game crashed.
Autosave for multiplayer is off by default. Usually I turn it on, but on the current build we were playing it seems I forgot to do that.
Is there a way to recover the game in this situation? Shouldn't multiplayer autosave be turned on by default?

Many thanks!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: recover game state after crash?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

coCoKNIght wrote:Is there a way to recover the game in this situation?
For practical purposes, no.
Shouldn't multiplayer autosave be turned on by default?
Seems reasonable... I don't see any reason why it should default to off.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

It probably was switched to default off because there was a period of time when it wasn't working and would cause a crash. I think that issue has been fixed now, so should be fine to go back to on.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish

#4 Post by Dilvish »

It still has problems; it doesn't work with a Moderator mode game with the auto-turn-advance selected -- I get the error

Code: Select all

You do not control an empire and cannot issue orders.
and the game halts and won't advance any more even if auto-turn-advance is deselected.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:It still has problems; it doesn't work with a Moderator mode game with the auto-turn-advance selected -- I get the error

Code: Select all

You do not control an empire and cannot issue orders.
and the game halts and won't advance any more even if auto-turn-advance is deselected.
I couldn't reproduce that...

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

:oops:
I dunno what happened -- I had reproduced that several times before posting, but now I can't either. *sigh*

Ok then, so I'll hijack the thread with a different multiplayer problem I just noticed today which would deserve it's own thread if it didn't now seem at risk of miraculously resolving itself while I post: I can't get the multiplayer Galaxy Setup dropdown boxes for Monster Frequency, Native Frequency, and Max AI Aggression to work. The ones above them work fine, and in the Single Player setup screen they all work fine -- does that happen to you as well or no?
Last edited by Dilvish on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:I can't get the multiplayer Galaxy Setup dropdown boxes for Monster Frequency, Native Frequency, and Max AI Aggression to work.
Confirmed for me. My guess is that it's related to this commit: https://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/code/7267/

adrian_broher
Programmer

#8 Post by adrian_broher »

Dilvish wrote: I can't get the multiplayer Galaxy Setup dropdown boxes for Monster Frequency, Native Frequency, and Max AI Aggression to work.
Caused by https://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/code/7270/ ; fixed in https://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/code/7310/

The parent container were smaller than the area where are the child drop down lists are rendered and therefor not passing any input events to the drop down lists.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz