Black screen [7372]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Black screen [7372]

#1 Post by AndrewW »

This is with a new install. Compiled 7372, and well...

Startup goes into full screen mode but screen is blank. If I move the mouse to a different monitor it goes into window mode and is fine, make that window active again and it switches back to full screen and is blank again.

Starting with -f (fullscreen), comes up blank but when moving the mouse to another monitor the normal startup screen appears on the monitor it was started on, move the mouse back to the same monitor and it blanks again.

Doesn't seem to matter which monitor it's started on, same effect.
freeorion.log
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
ogre.log
(18.19 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Black screen [7372]

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Try rebooting your system, then try recompiling from a cleaned build / from scratch.

Don't think anything relevant changed in the code, but can you reproducibly get this on 7372 but not the previous version you built? If so, at what revision does it start happening?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Try rebooting your system, then try recompiling from a cleaned build / from scratch.

Don't think anything relevant changed in the code, but can you reproducibly get this on 7372 but not the previous version you built? If so, at what revision does it start happening?
This was a new install actually (had reinstalled this sytem), had just gotten around to compiling FreeOrion on here since then, other then initially pulled down 7333, but just tried that out today and had the same problem. So updated to 7372 and the problem repeated.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#4 Post by AndrewW »

Same issue with [7380].

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

AndrewW wrote:Same issue with [7380].
Did you compile 7380 yourself or did you use the pre-release build (which is a 7380 build of the release branch) I just uploaded?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#6 Post by AndrewW »

Vezzra wrote:
AndrewW wrote:Same issue with [7380].
Did you compile 7380 yourself or did you use the pre-release build (which is a 7380 build of the release branch) I just uploaded?
Compiled.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

AndrewW wrote:Compiled.
Does the pre-release build work on your system?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#8 Post by AndrewW »

Vezzra wrote:Does the pre-release build work on your system?
Well, not using a Mac or that other thing on here...

Compiled ones used to work fine...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

AndrewW wrote:Compiled ones used to work fine...
In that case we need to find out which is the last revision that works on your system. So we can narrow down which changes cause the black screen.

Maybe adrian_brohers bisecting approach can be helpful here.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#10 Post by AndrewW »

Vezzra wrote:In that case we need to find out which is the last revision that works on your system. So we can narrow down which changes cause the black screen.
Just tried [7000], same problem...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

AndrewW wrote:Just tried [7000], same problem...
I assume you've previously run versions later than SVN 7000 without problem? If so, the change is presumably not with FO code, but with something on your system.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#12 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I assume you've previously run versions later than SVN 7000 without problem? If so, the change is presumably not with FO code, but with something on your system.
Not sure, hadn't messed with it for a bit (just been doing other things), compiling [6500] at the moment, if that has the same problem yup will figure it's something here.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#13 Post by AndrewW »

Same problem wtih [6500].

Updated everything on the computer (though was all either the same or newer versions then when it was working), wiped out the freeorion and .freeorion directories and tried from scratch [7386], same problem.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#14 Post by Dilvish »

It's odd that when it starts up from a clean reinstall/compile, it appears to start in full screen mode even without using -f. Am I understanding that right?

Perhaps it's getting some wrong info (or misinterpreting info) from your card regarding supported resolution. I don't really see how/why that would change its startup resolution for windowed mode, but still, perhaps try

Code: Select all

./freeorion --app-height-windowed 700 --app-width-windowed 1000
Also, could you check what version of Ogre you're using?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#15 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:It's odd that when it starts up from a clean reinstall/compile, it appears to start in full screen mode even without using -f. Am I understanding that right?
That is correct.
Dilvish wrote:Perhaps it's getting some wrong info (or misinterpreting info) from your card regarding supported resolution. I don't really see how/why that would change its startup resolution for windowed mode, but still, perhaps try

Code: Select all

./freeorion --app-height-windowed 700 --app-width-windowed 1000
Still comes up full screen, move the mouse to a different monitor and it appears in a window, move it back and it is back to full screen. Note it has previously worked with this card.
Dilvish wrote:Also, could you check what version of Ogre you're using?
Last edited by AndrewW on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.