Black screen [7372]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Black screen [7372]

#16 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Not it has previously worked with this card.
I'll presume that was meant 'Note'. Are you sure the card / driver was set to the same settings before? Most particularly, is (and did) your system treat them as one big screen, or two separate screens?

perhaps attach your CmakeCache.txt (it's my recollection you were on a Linux build)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#17 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:I'll presume that was meant 'Note'. Are you sure the card / driver was set to the same settings before? Most particularly, is (and did) your system treat them as one big screen, or two separate screens?
Yup and yup. Actually copy over the configuration stuff from the backup when I did the reinstall (even do that for other systems for the most part, though the rest just have one monitor hooked up). Actually, three independent screens in my case.
Dilvish wrote:perhaps attach your CmakeCache.txt (it's my recollection you were on a Linux build)
Done.
Attachments
CMakeCache.txt
(54.58 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Dilvish

#18 Post by Dilvish »

I didn't see any clues in the cmake cache. Any luck yet?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#19 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:I didn't see any clues in the cmake cache. Any luck yet?
Nope, but haven't really been messing with it.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#20 Post by AndrewW »

Expected, [7425] still has the issue.

Dilvish

#21 Post by Dilvish »

By any chance do you have a backup of your old FO directories, in which your compiled FO had worked? We could perhaps compare the cmake cache from there to your current one.

Doing a more thorough comparison between our cmake caches, I notice some differences that may not matter (and I can't say I necessarily see how they could lead to your problem) but might be things to double check or try changing. My setup is for Ubuntu (Kubuntu) 13.10

make/gmake -- you're using gmake, is that what you used before as well? perhaps try make

one potentially significant entry I had that you didn't was

Code: Select all

//The threading library used by boost-thread
BOOST_THREAD_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/lib64/libpthread.so
freetype2: surprisingly, you and I have a couple of these settings directly opposite, and I think mine is the more typical, though you would probably have gotten compile and/or link problems if yours wasn't right for your system.
Yours:

FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2:PATH=/usr/include
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build:PATH=/usr/include/freetype2
Mine:

FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2:PATH=/usr/include/freetype2
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build:PATH=/usr/include
perhaps run

locate ft2build.h
and see what it tells you?

There are also quite a few X11 related libraries that you have that I don't (or that cmake didn't find), it would be odd that something like that would make a problem for you rather than me, but again maybe one of these is changing the FO behavior on your machine, and an X11 difference is certainly something that could be tied into the kind of behavior you're describing. However, I didn't actually see an indication that these were actually being used, merely that cmake had tracked down their locations. One that sounds particularly likely to be involved in focus change issues is

X11_Xinput_LIB:FILEPATH=/usr/lib64/libXi.so
whereas I had nothing for that.

In case you want to look into the other X11 differences, the ones you had that I didn't are libXRes, libXtst, libXcomposite, libXcursor, libXft, libXi, libXinerama, libxkbfile, libXrandr, libXrender, libXss, libXv, and libXxf86misc

you have

//Install .so files without execute permission.
CMAKE_INSTALL_SO_NO_EXE:INTERNAL=0
whereas mine is 1

**edit** There are also a number of the libraries where you have a more recent version than I do, but unlike the potential with OGRE (which appears fine here) I don't think any of those should be a problem.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#22 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:By any chance do you have a backup of your old FO directories, in which your compiled FO had worked? We could perhaps compare the cmake cache from there to your current one.
Had a copy of [7147], just tried copying that one over, same issue though...
Dilvish wrote:make/gmake -- you're using gmake, is that what you used before as well? perhaps try make
Don't think anything changed there.
Dilvish wrote:perhaps run

locate ft2build.h
and see what it tells you?

/usr/include/freetype2/ft2build.h
Note using Gentoo here.
Attachments
CMakeCache.txt
(53.43 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

Dilvish

#23 Post by Dilvish »

what is this latest CMakeCache.txt from?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#24 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:what is this latest CMakeCache.txt from?
The old [7147] I had one a backup.

Dilvish

#25 Post by Dilvish »

hmm, yeah, not much difference between those, the one that stands out the most is the different optimization you used to do

CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING='-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe '
CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING='-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe '
perhaps try it with those again, though I guess if rebuilding the 7147 tree didn't work then it might not here either. But if you had tried just rebuilding the 7147 tree without rerunning cmake then perhaps something was left set inconsistent with your current setup.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#26 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:hmm, yeah, not much difference between those, the one that stands out the most is the different optimization you used to do

CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING='-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe '
CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING='-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe '
perhaps try it with those again, though I guess if rebuilding the 7147 tree didn't work then it might not here either. But if you had tried just rebuilding the 7147 tree without rerunning cmake then perhaps something was left set inconsistent with your current setup.
Didn't even try rebuilding actually...

Yeah, usually use that it's setup for anything in the package manager to use that, just after the reinstall didn't set up the variable for anything compiled outside of that (which isn't much).

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#27 Post by AndrewW »

Pu in the optimizations, no change. [7428]

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#28 Post by AndrewW »

Just to update, tried with: 7741 same issue.

Dilvish

#29 Post by Dilvish »

Since it was a system re-install that triggered this problem for you, it seems likely that there is something about your setup that is either unusual in a way that FO doesn't recognize but stumbles with, or it may be outright a little glitchy. Either way it seems more likely that a system update might fix it for you than just regular FO trunk revisions. Although these days it seems like there is much lower risk than it used to be of new Linux kernel versions having glitches with video drivers, it seems like a possibility that still can't be ruled out here. Have you been checking for relevant system/video updates, and whether or not other folks with your setup are experiencing any OpenGL or other graphics problems?

Since the FO glitches you're experiencing seem tightly tied into windowing, you might also consider trying the SDL FO branch; even if it had glitches for you they might not be as serious as the problems you're currently having.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#30 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:Although these days it seems like there is much lower risk than it used to be of new Linux kernel versions having glitches with video drivers, it seems like a possibility that still can't be ruled out here. Have you been checking for relevant system/video updates, and whether or not other folks with your setup are experiencing any OpenGL or other graphics problems?
Not on the latest version at the moment but have put some video driver updates in at times, with no change.

Haven't heard of problems, but haven't really investigated either.
Dilvish wrote:Since the FO glitches you're experiencing seem tightly tied into windowing, you might also consider trying the SDL FO branch; even if it had glitches for you they might not be as serious as the problems you're currently having.
Might give that a go.