Robo shields not working [7311, Mac build]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

mem359
Dyson Forest

Robo shields not working [7311, Mac build]

#1 Post by mem359 »

I tried using the "Robotic Interface: Shields" today, and they aren't working.

I don't know when it was broken. They were definitely working when they were first introduced, but I haven't tried using them since then.

I have attached an image.
Four ships, robotic hull with Etty (robotic species) with robo-shields. They have been sitting in the same fleet in an empty system for four turns, so I expected 3 shields for each ship. There is no molecular cloud; the shields are just zero.

(Purely a shot in the dark, but I wonder if it is related to the inconsistent ship repair bug that was noticed recently?)

(Edit: It shouldn't make a difference, but just in case, my home world species was not Robotic. Recently conquered an Etty AI.)
Attachments
robo_shields.jpg
robo_shields.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Robo shields not working [7311, Mac build]

#2 Post by MatGB »

That makes no sense, I've noticed occasional glitchiness with them not updating on a turn when fleets have merged. There's no combat ther at all? Have you tried moving them to a different system?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

mem359
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by mem359 »

MatGB wrote:That makes no sense, I've noticed occasional glitchiness with them not updating on a turn when fleets have merged. There's no combat ther at all? Have you tried moving them to a different system?
I agree, it makes no sense. :D
I wanted to make sure it wasn't the "merge-turn" effect. That's why I had the fleet sitting for four turns.

Definitely no combat.
(Even if it was, the Max Shields should have been 3, even if the current value was something else.)

I already started a new game and got rid of the save. :cry:
When I have the time, I'll try to recreate a similar situation.

mem359
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by mem359 »

Okay, this is from the same game, but a little different situation. See the attached image.

Cetus Gamma was the conquered home world of the Etty AI. No other planets in that system.

On turn 121, two fleets were built.
Fleet 2189 has two ships that had the Defense Grid, and those ships show the expected value of 4.
Fleet 2190 has four ships with the Robo shields. Even two turns later, it was still zero.

I moved them to a nearby (uninhibited) system. Had them sit for two turns. No change.

I built another fleet of four more "RoboShips", then moved Fleet 2190 back to the same system.
So 8 Robotic Interface ships in total, still zero shields. (And the other two ships with Defense Grid stayed at 4.)

------

As I mentioned, Robo shields definitely worked sometime in the past, which is why the current behavior caught me by surprise.
Attachments
robo_shields2.jpg
robo_shields2.jpg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 2037 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

I'll test in a bit with my Windows install see if I've got similar problems, to my knowledge nothing has been done to that area of code so if it's replicatable (as it obviously is for you) then there's something very strange going on. Currently playing Egassem in one of my semi-regular "torture myself with impossible settings" games.

(Turn 98. I now have colony 3 established. No sign of robots yet.)

I am playing with robot hulls, if I don't find some Cray or Etty fairly soon I'll swap for a new game.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Should I delay RC1 because of this issue?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

You're a Mac user IIRC, see if you can replicate it? shouldn't be hard, start Etty, research the early game tech, build a couple, see what happens. We know it's been working properly for ages, or at least mostly properly and we're already delayed. If it happens to you as well, then a delay needed, if not then it's something weird with either this game or this install.
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Might help:

Code: Select all

-                DesignHasPart 1 999 "ROBOTIC_INTERFACE_SHIELDS"
+                DesignHasPart 1 999 "SH_ROBOTIC_INTERFACE_SHIELDS"
Edit: seems to (help) for me. Committed.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

Hah! You broke that part in so many places when you renamed it :-D

(and I've stopped using it recently so hadn't noticed)

OK, that makes a lot of sense, so many different places a partname or hullname can get used for effects.
Mat Bowles

mem359
Dyson Forest

#10 Post by mem359 »

The 7205 build (on June 30th) worked.
The 7311 build (on July 28th) has this problem.

This is consistent with Geoff's fix.

Comparing the two versions, besides some minor re-arranging in the "ship_parts.txt" file, the 7311 version changed the name for the ship part ("SH_" in front of the "ROBOTIC_INTERFACE_SHIELDS), but did not change the part name when defining "COUNT_OF_LOCAL_ROBOTIC_INTERFACE_SHIELDS".

Thanks for figuring out and documenting the fix.
Making the change to ship_parts.txt works for me as well.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

Very good :D

Issue fixed, so the deadline for RC1 still stands.