v0.4.3 - Application Incorrectly Loading C Runtime

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: v0.4.3 - Application Incorrectly Loading C Runtime

#16 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, I'm just trying to implement the OSX solution also for Windows, but ran into the following problem which prevents me from properly testing if this fix works: I can't reproduce this issue on my XP testing machine. There, even if I have Python installed, the FO app correctly uses the Python environment that ships with it. Consequently, I can implement my fix, make sure FO still works on XP, but can't test if it really fixes things on those Windows versions where the issue occurs.

When I'm done I'm going to provide a PR and will also try to provide a special test build.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#17 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:I can't reproduce this issue on my XP testing machine. There, even if I have Python installed, the FO app correctly uses the Python environment that ships with it.
From the threads I had read, it sounded like this problem was especially likely to arise when there had been a prior app also tinkering with the python path. Could you try installing an extra FO copy in a different location (perhaps as freeorion_prime), and then see if you run into trouble?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

Vezzra wrote:When I'm done I'm going to provide a PR and will also try to provide a special test build.
Done.

Pull request.

Special test build.

@Buzz and MaiZure: Can you install the special test build on your machines and report back? Pls also provide the log files (freeoriond.log and AI_*.log).

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Could you try installing an extra FO copy in a different location (perhaps as freeorion_prime), and then see if you run into trouble?
Yup, will do.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#20 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:From the threads I had read, it sounded like this problem was especially likely to arise when there had been a prior app also tinkering with the python path. Could you try installing an extra FO copy in a different location (perhaps as freeorion_prime), and then see if you run into trouble?
Ha! Yes, that reproduced the problem. I installed last weeks test build into a different location, ran it, and the logs clearly showed that FO didn't use the bundled Python environment, but the local Python installation. The module search path contained a mixture of both environments, which of course promises trouble.

I then installed the version containing my fixes into that extra location, ran it - and voilà, FO uses the bundled Python again. Looks promising :D

Buzz, MaiZure, I'd like to hear back from you, if the special test build fixes the issue for you.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#21 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:I then installed the version containing my fixes into that extra location, ran it - and voilà, FO uses the bundled Python again. Looks promising :D
Glad to hear it; good job.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MaiZure
Space Krill

#22 Post by MaiZure »

Uninstalled the regular FO and installed the test build - it works right out of the box without issue.

Much appreciated!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#23 Post by Vezzra »

MaiZure wrote:Uninstalled the regular FO and installed the test build - it works right out of the box without issue.
Perfect. Patch has already been merged into master, so the current and future test builds should work for you too.