Avast! quarantining GiGiOgrePlugin_OIS.DLL

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Avast! quarantining GiGiOgrePlugin_OIS.DLL

#1 Post by MatGB »

Which explains why, given I have it running in gaming mode when I'm booting a game up, the game wasn't running. Two complete reinstalls from scratch before I found the quarantine folder.

It is of course possible that I have an infection so am running full scans/rootkit removers, etc but it's also possible that the most recent virus update from Avast has decided it doesn't like some of our code.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Avast! quarantining GiGiOgrePlugin_OIS.DLL

#2 Post by MatGB »

And the full Kaspersky scan says I have no problems which implies the most recent virus definitions are stopping the game from running, at least with Avast, I've added an exclusion to my setup, worth remembering for others.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

lsid98
Space Krill

#3 Post by lsid98 »

Hey Avast is blocking the download of the latest RC as a possible virus threat Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] .
I think this is because of the GiGIOgrePlugin_OIS.dll . Is anyone with other AV seeing anything like this?

Thanks

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Does any other AV software (besides Avast) flag my RC builds?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

lsid98 wrote:Hey Avast is blocking the download of the latest RC as a possible virus threat Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] .
I think this is because of the GiGIOgrePlugin_OIS.dll . Is anyone with other AV seeing anything like this?
Aye, even thought I'd told it to ignore that file when the game is running, it still blocked the download, I had to disable it for ten minutes to get it onto my machine.

I have used Avast's report function to declare it a false positive, it'd be good if others affected did the same, I've run full sweeps with a variety of things and my system is clean, and Kaspersky says there's nothign wrong with the file, it's Avast looking at suspected behaviour of an item, started with the 16th August definitions update from what I can tell.

@Vezzra, 99.99% certain it's not somethign you (or we) have done, it's Avast being picky, when I did some research it appears to be a known thing that Avast is oversuspicious of potential rootkits.
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Google "Win32:Evo-gen". Lots of other mentions of similar false positives.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, that sounds reassuring. Just wanted to be safe.