system GUI on top of star

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

gendalf
Space Floater

system GUI on top of star

#1 Post by gendalf »

just found out this game, started it, so have no idea what i'm doing..
but is it supposed to be like that?:

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: system GUI on top of star

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

gendalf wrote:but is it supposed to be like that?:
Could you be more specific?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

gendalf wrote:just found out this game, started it, so have no idea what i'm doing..
but is it supposed to be like that?:
I see nothign specifically wrong, but I do see a problem. Cancel that colonisation now, research Subterranean Habitation, then reorder it, those colonists will die if your empire hasn't figured out a way of building them somewhere to live on a non-Terran world.

Basically, your homeworld is at the end of a starlane, but your scanners can detect another star nearby that has two starlanes, it's an unusual configuration but there's nothign wrong, send the scouts (and just the scouts) down to the next system and the map'll expand for you.

I'm in the process of updating the quickstart guide on the wiki:
http://freeorion.org/index.php/V0.4_Quick_Play_Guide

And I do mean that literally, did huge numbers of minor edits last night and plan more later, but while it is out of date in many respects it's still a good guide to the basics.

Welcome, hope you enjoy the game and if you find any bugs report them so we can squash them ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

gendalf
Space Floater

#4 Post by gendalf »

here:

also for some reason i have mouse trail when i go to the research tab

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

There does appear to be less space at the top than normal...

Wait, your first ever boot up, the default monitor size is quite small, if you exit the game and restart the star should be more visible as the config file will update itself to your screensize on first run but the panel positions are set on game boot from the default config file.

The space below is there for other planets, systems can have up to 10 planets (that's rare but does happen).

(and mouse trails happen in Windows as the system pointer and the game pointer don't always keep up with each other, there's a setting to hide one or the ohter but I just got used to it—if you're not in Windows I don't know causes it ;-) )
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

That looks like it's expected to.

gendalf
Space Floater

#7 Post by gendalf »

MatGB, it wasn't the first run when this screenshot was taken
if there can be even 5 planets they will already reach that screen limit.. so i don't see this as a valid explanation, i would prefer this window to be below the star and if there will be more planets to have a vertical scrollbar :P

or maybe even make the sun and planets windows independent, have the ability to move the windows around and change their sizes however i want, just like with messagies, pedia, empires.. windows
something like this:
#madpaintskillz

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

gendalf wrote:MatGB, it wasn't the first run when this screenshot was taken
if there can be even 5 planets they will already reach that screen limit.. so i don't see this as a valid explanation, i would prefer this window to be below the star and if there will be more planets to have a vertical scrollbar :P
Actually I correct myself, if you select someone elses or a neutral system more of the sun is visible, but your own has the system resource meters bar at the top.

I, regularly, play on a widescreen laptop, and as such dislike having too much vertical screen estate taken up by default, especially for a purely aesthetic issue, if you've got several planets you do need to be able to see those planet and while scrollbars already exist, and work well enough, even on my big monitor I can only see 5 planets if they're all populated, on the laptop it's barely over 3, and that's with everything collapsed.

It is, ultimately, an aesthetic decision, I'm less interested in the pretty pictures of stars than I am in the data the sidepanel is giving me, but I wouldn't be averse to having options for others if someone wants to code it. I certainly don't, not even sure I could yet ;-)
Mat Bowles

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#9 Post by Dilvish »

I think that showing the whole star would be a significant waste of space.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

gendalf
Space Floater

#10 Post by gendalf »

Dilvish, i also suggested to be able to move them seprately to fit the "aesthetic choice" ^_^

also, it's weird that when i press << or >> (near the star name) it just cycles useless points in space instaed of going to the next planet where i have a colony, i would expect it to work more like in civ :p