Bugs/Issues

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

-VLV-
Space Floater

Bugs/Issues

#1 Post by -VLV- »

version 0.4.4 RC2 win32
windows 8.1 64b

issue1
-runs fine on HD4000, doesn't work on GT650m
issue2
-fps limiter doesn't work
-Pedia opens Graph...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Bugs/Issues

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

-VLV- wrote:-runs fine on HD4000, doesn't work on GT650m
Try updating your video drivers. If that doesn't help, there's probably not much that can be done, but you could try posting ogre.log and freeorion.log from C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion
-fps limiter doesn't work
It does, but it doesn't work correctly. Setting a lower FPS limit, then restarting, should result in a lower FPS, although the limit would be what you actually set it to.
-Pedia opens Graph...
There are two buttons. The one that looks like a graph will open the graphs list. The other will open the pedia to the latest viewed pedia page, or the index. If you opened the graphs list first, then re-opening the pedia will show graphs again.

-VLV-
Space Floater

#3 Post by -VLV- »

- video drivers are already up to date...
what gpu do you use? I find it quite annoying to use the integrated -.-

- I use an external program to cap fps anyway ^_^
and the HD4000 doesn't output that many fps anyway...
why not a v-sync option??

- (Pedia) ah, I see ^_^

-also, why draw a cursor sprite and use that one for input, when the OS cursor is not hidden anyway ???

(logs coming later)

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

-VLV- wrote:what gpu do you use?
Various, over the years. Never had a problem. Other have reported problems though, which are sometimes fixed by updates. Newer cards' OpenGL support is sometimes unreliable.
why not a v-sync option??
Don't think anyone's ever requested it. Not sure if Ogre3D supports it.
-also, why draw a cursor sprite and use that one for input, when the OS cursor is not hidden anyway ???
There have been various issues with the in-game cursor disappearing. You can hide the OS cursor if you want by editing OISInput.cfg in the main FreeOrion directory. Whether it's shown or hidden, it will be the one used for input though. There is no way to avoid this with the input plugin currently being used.

-VLV-
Space Floater

#5 Post by -VLV- »

well, the HD4000 is actually good enough to play the game, except for the 20fps on the tech menu ^_^

relevant logs for failed gt650m launch are attached

on he freeorion.log from playing yesterday, I found this on the end:
2014-08-23 01:48:10,705 DEBUG Server : Initiating Exit (code 1 - error termination)
2014-08-23 21:48:10,705 DEBUG Server : ServerApp::CleanupAIs() telling AIs game is ending
2014-08-23 21:48:10,706 DEBUG Server : ServerApp::CleanupAIs() waiting 1 second for AI processes to clean up...
2014-08-23 21:48:11,707 DEBUG Server : ServerApp::CleanupAIs() killing 6 AI clients.
2014-08-23 21:48:11,707 ERROR Server : Process::Impl::Kill : Error terminating process: Access is denied.
2014-08-23 21:48:11,707 ERROR Server : Process::Impl::Kill : Error terminating process: Access is denied.
Attachments
freeorion.log
(558 Bytes) Downloaded 108 times
ogre.log
(19.2 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

-VLV-
Space Floater

#6 Post by -VLV- »

in the meanwhile found a new bug:
-produced a Logistics ship (the hull with some useful special abilities)
-all solar hull ships produced there while the logistics ship was present started with 0 hull, which got repaired the following turn
(didn't try other hulls)
-removing the log ship solved it

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

-VLV- wrote:-produced a Logistics ship (the hull with some useful special abilities)
-all solar hull ships produced there while the logistics ship was present started with 0 hull, which got repaired the following turn
Try editing ship_hulls.txt to replace the effectsgroup starting on line 448 with

Code: Select all

EffectsGroup
            scope = And [
                Ship
                InSystem Source.SystemID
                Turn low = Target.CreationTurn + 1
                Or [
                    OwnedBy TheEmpire Source.Owner
                    OwnedBy AllyOf Source.Owner
                ]
            ]
            activation = And [
                InSystem
                Turn low = Source.CreationTurn + 1
            ]
            stackinggroup = "FLAGSHIP_EFFECT_LOGISTICS"
            effects = SetStructure max(Target.Structure, Target.MaxStructure)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

aha! When I fixed it to stop the Logistics hull starting on zero structure, I didn't fix it to stop other hulls built in the same location as a logistics already there from being given zero structure. And it never occured to me to test that either, oops.

-VLV- can you test that to confirm it works ASAP? If so we need to get it into 0.4.4 before Vezzra compiles RC3 on Monday. I shall be testing it myself soon, current game has them being researched, but I obviously didn't test the last fix as well as I'd thought.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

-VLV-
Space Floater

#9 Post by -VLV- »

glad to help, gonna try to test that then

another issue for the list is when typing, fps drops a lot... as low as 3fs...

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

-VLV- wrote:...when typing, fps drops a lot...
Typing what / where?

-VLV-
Space Floater

#11 Post by -VLV- »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
-VLV- wrote:...when typing, fps drops a lot...
Typing what / where?
ah, right ^_^
-Design
-select a hull
-"Design Name" box, here the game lags when typing/deleting, but only after(/while) a hull has been selected...
description box doesn't lag, and none does before selecting a hull
MatGB wrote:-VLV- can you test that to confirm it works ASAP?
It works!
(based on 1 test: produced logistics, produced ship = bug; made file change and restarted; same place - produced ship = no bug)
(making a 2nd test just in case)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by MatGB »

Cool, it looks like it should work fine, I just completed the research in my current test game so I'll be doing very similar in about, oh, 15 turns time ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

-VLV-
Space Floater

#13 Post by -VLV- »

MatGB wrote:Cool, it looks like it should work fine, I just completed the research in my current test game so I'll be doing very similar in about, oh, 15 turns time ;-)
works fine indeed, 2nd test was successful :)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#14 Post by Dilvish »

-VLV- wrote:-"Design Name" box, here the game lags when typing/deleting, but only after(/while) a hull has been selected...
description box doesn't lag, and none does before selecting a hull
This is due to an aspect of the ongoing effort to balance DesignWindow responsiveness vs lag issue. At the time I put it in I noted it only caused a very small bit of lag for me but we'd have to see how things went on lower-powered systems.

It seems like we're consistently getting comments of people having design name edit lag problems with the current setup, though. So probably we should just drop that & only have it update the name when parts are changed or 'confirm design' is clicked.

An intermediate point might be for it to do a dynamic update of the name only every few characters instead of every character; that should reduce the overall lag to a third of a fourth of what it is now, although the stuttering response would probably get plenty of comments from people as well.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:An intermediate point might be for it to do a dynamic update of the name only every few characters instead of every character...
Or after pressing enter or losing input focus.