Freeoriond (server) : segmentation fault

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Zoltic
Space Krill

Freeoriond (server) : segmentation fault

#1 Post by Zoltic »

Hello,

Sorry for my poor English, I'm French and Frenches are known as "bad foreign speakers". :)

I play Freeorion (0.4.4-4.1) from my Linux distribution. All is OK
I download the svn and compile with exactly same libraries :
Client : OK
Server crashes : Segmentation fault. No log, nothing more.

Linux OpenSuse 13.1 (32 bits)
svn Fo : 7755
svn Gg : 7730
Ogre 1.9
Boost : 1.53
Python : 2.7
gcc : 4.8

I tried to execute server by hand, same result,

If I find how to download an old version from the svn repository, I'll try to find a version where all is good.

Have a good night. :)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Freeoriond (server) : segmentation fault

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Zoltic wrote:If I find how to download an old version from the svn repository, I'll try to find a version where all is good.
it sounds like you're using svn to get the source, in which case you can simply update to a different version [nnnn] with:

Code: Select all

svn up -r nnnn
Before doing that though, it probably makes sense to get a little more info on what you're running into. Could you install valgrind, and then run FO with it, like

Code: Select all

valgrind --tool=memcheck ./freeorion -q
and post the resulting output here? Even in a noncrashing situation there would be a fair bit of output from that, so don't be alarmed, but it should be able to show us what trouble you're running into.

Also, even if the server somehow leaves no log, the main client should still leave freeorion.log which is unlikely to be helpful but should be checked just to be sure, so please post that also.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0