How do I list colonisable planets?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

How do I list colonisable planets?

#1 Post by Magnate »

Hello all - my first time playing (Debian package 0.4.4-2 SVN 7640)

How do I filter the list of planets so that I can only see colonisable ones? The filter "Species can colonise" does nothing, there is no drop-down list of species (same with "Species can build ships"). Other filters work (star type, planet size etc.).

Is this a known bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

CC

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: How do I list colonisable planets?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Magnate wrote:The filter "Species can colonise" does nothing, there is no drop-down list of species (same with "Species can build ships"). Is this a known bug? Am I doing something wrong?
They work, no dropdown needed-- they show all planets/ships/whatever whose species is capable of either colonizing or shipbuilding, respectively.
How do I filter the list of planets so that I can only see colonisable ones? Other filters work (star type, planet size etc.).
That exact filter is currently not implemented; one of the devs has started on it but the initial implementation at least was extremely cpu hungry. The closest thing right now is is to be aware of the environmental preferences of the species you want to consider, and then filter by Planet Type, starting with whatever is 'Good' for your species, then trying any 'Adequate' types, and perhaps also the 'Poor' types. You can also/instead add new column info via right-click on an empty column header; I usually add Planet-Type and Size-as-Number, which can be helpful for sorting.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Magnate
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Magnate »

Dilvish wrote:
Magnate wrote:The filter "Species can colonise" does nothing, there is no drop-down list of species (same with "Species can build ships"). Is this a known bug? Am I doing something wrong?
They work, no dropdown needed-- they show all planets/ships/whatever whose species is capable of either colonizing or shipbuilding, respectively.
How do I filter the list of planets so that I can only see colonisable ones? Other filters work (star type, planet size etc.).
That exact filter is currently not implemented; one of the devs has started on it but the initial implementation at least was extremely cpu hungry. The closest thing right now is is to be aware of the environmental preferences of the species you want to consider, and then filter by Planet Type, starting with whatever is 'Good' for your species, then trying any 'Adequate' types, and perhaps also the 'Poor' types. You can also/instead add new column info via right-click on an empty column header; I usually add Planet-Type and Size-as-Number, which can be helpful for sorting.
Thanks, that's a good idea.

I had to read the two parts of your answer a few times - are you saying that the filter *wouldn't* need a drop down if it was working? It doesn't filter out planets I can't colonise, so I guess the second half is the important bit!

Thanks again.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Magnate wrote:...are you saying that the filter *wouldn't* need a drop down if it was working? It doesn't filter out planets I can't colonise, so I guess the second half is the important bit!
The filters work fine, but they don't do what you want / expect.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#5 Post by Magnate »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Magnate wrote:...are you saying that the filter *wouldn't* need a drop down if it was working? It doesn't filter out planets I can't colonise, so I guess the second half is the important bit!
The filters work fine, but they don't do what you want / expect.
I'm sorry I'm being dim, but I really don't understand how it is working. Gas giants aren't colonisable for any species, right? So how come they don't disappear from the list when I apply this filter? The obvious meaning of "Species Can Colonise" is "MY species can colonise NOW", and it definitely isn't doing that. I'd love to know what it is doing.

Instead of doing this with a filter, would it be possible to do it as a "Target Pop for [species]" column instead?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

Magnate wrote:Gas giants aren't colonisable for any species, right? So how come they don't disappear from the list when I apply this filter?
:oops: Ah, well, my assertion that they were working was indeed wrong, sorry about that, and thanks for persisting. It's fixed now in SVN, will be available in the next weekly build. I think that on a Debian system you should be able to get that with a modest bit of work, if you want.
Instead of doing this with a filter, would it be possible to do it as a "Target Pop for [species]" column instead?
That's the thing I was referring to one of the Devs working on.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Magnate wrote:So how come they don't disappear from the list when I apply this filter?
I think that due to a bug in the GUI code, that condition does nothing at all when selected as a filter.
The obvious meaning of "Species Can Colonise" is "MY species can colonise NOW"...
That is not the obvious meaning, because there is no such thing as "MY species". Empires and species are independent, and a given empire, including the players, can have populations of many different species in it.
I'd love to know what it is doing.
What it's supposed to do is show planets or ships, or buildings on planets, that have a species that is able to colonize planets. Not all species can produce colony ships. Ships or planets with species that can't colonize, or with no species, would be hidden by the condition.
...would it be possible to do it as a "Target Pop for [species]" column instead?
It could be coded, but the GUI to support arbitrary species hypothetical values for arbitrary meters would probably be problematic...