Unable to type in text boxes

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

Unable to type in text boxes

#1 Post by Magnate »

Hi all, really enjoying this game (Debian pkg 0.4.4-2 svn 7640). Just one minor bug so far: I can't type into text boxes, to rename ship designs or saved games. Is this known? Or curable?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Unable to type in text boxes

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Various similar issues have been reported, often appearing after alt-tabbing (or equivalent) away and back from the FreeOrion window.

See: viewtopic.php?p=63109#p63109 or http://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/bugs/549/

Removing issues such as this with the OIS input plugin are part of the motivation for the in-progress transition to using SDL instead of Ogre.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Magnate »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Various similar issues have been reported, often appearing after alt-tabbing (or equivalent) away and back from the FreeOrion window.

See: viewtopic.php?p=63109#p63109 or http://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/bugs/549/

Removing issues such as this with the OIS input plugin are part of the motivation for the in-progress transition to using SDL instead of Ogre.
Excellent, thank you. I'm currently trying to migrate Angband from SDL1.2 to SDL2 so I have some sympathy - though the transition from Ogre is doubtless harder!

CC

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Chriss »

Can sometimes be solved by pressing and releasing Alt in the game, I think.
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.