Games menu with weird letters

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Kenan
Space Krill

Games menu with weird letters

#1 Post by Kenan »

Hello

Everytime I start the game I cannot read the games menu, because the letters are weird. I assume wrong graphics settings, but I do not know where to tweak?

Thanks

Win7, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Release 0.4.4.
Attachments
screen.JPG
screen.JPG (34.63 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
AI_6.log
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
AI_1.log
(868 Bytes) Downloaded 100 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Games menu with weird letters

#2 Post by MatGB »

Speculation on my part, there is a known issue with graphics drivers and the older code of the game, we're testing a fix in the current test branches, AFAIK it was only a problem on win8 machines (I'm on Win7 and don't have that problem but I don't have that graphics card).

Try downloading the most recent Test release and seeing if that works, if it does it's probably a related bug and it's probably worth doing a bugfix release of the main branch. If it's not that, hopefully one of the more experienced guys will have better advice or questions.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kenan
Space Krill

#3 Post by Kenan »

Hello Mat,

thank you for your reply. I installed the latest test version. Nothing changed, same problem. Any other option/idea?

Thanks

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

When I've seen such problems reported on these boards, the positive resolutions that I can remember all were from updating the machine's graphic drivers.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Switching to a newer test build might also help, I think...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Switching to a newer test build might also help, I think...
That he already did:
Kenan wrote:I installed the latest test version. Nothing changed, same problem.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Kenan wrote:Any other option/idea?
Have you tried Dilvish's suggestion:
Dilvish wrote:When I've seen such problems reported on these boards, the positive resolutions that I can remember all were from updating the machine's graphic drivers.

Kenan
Space Krill

#8 Post by Kenan »

Hello Vezzra,

my NB is old and there is no possibility to update the graphic drivers anymore, last update 9/1/2009. So far I had never a problem like this.

What can I do else?

Many thanks

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#9 Post by Dilvish »

My old laptop has a Radeon X300, which is older and notably less powerful than your card, and still manages to run FO ok (slowly), so I'm hopeful you can get it going.
Kenan wrote:my NB is old and there is no possibility to update the graphic drivers anymore, last update 9/1/2009.
Did you only check with your NB maker? It looks to me like AMD/ATI has a fairly new (2013) update for your card. Search here.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Kenan wrote:What can I do else?
Aside from Dilvish' suggestion to try to get a more recent driver from the cards manufacturer (which you should definitely try, there's a very good chance that this might work), I can't think of anything else. You might have a chance once we make the switch from Ogre to SDL, which is currently still WIP.

Kenan
Space Krill

#11 Post by Kenan »

Hello Dilvish, hello Vezzra,

I have followed the link and updated the graphics driver. Now the game is running.

Thank you very much.