Cant run the Game ! I tried several versions .. all the same

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Galactus
Space Krill

Re: Cant run the Game ! I tried several versions .. all the

#31 Post by Galactus »

I got the same problem.

I downloaded the app for the first time and installed it, but it wouldn't run. "failed to start"

I then downloaded the previous version, installed, tried it and got no more success. I downloaded/installed version of 0.3.17 and got the same results.

I tried the "cmd.exe" method and, still, no cigar.

I tried the "-g" option with cmd.exe and... it worked!!!

What gives?

System:
Asus
Intel i5-3450 3.1Ghz
12 Gb RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits
NVIDIA GeForce GT 620
App installed in default directory

Galactus
Space Krill

#32 Post by Galactus »

So?

Anyone has any idea why this game will not load on my system unless I run it through cmd.exe with the -g option?

By the way, the problem is even stranger because the -g option also fails every other try.

Also, when it fails, there is no error message in the command prompt window.

In case the reason I don't get an answer is because I haven't submitted a log file, here are my config.xml file as well as the log files I can find.
Attachments
ogre.log
(19.99 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
freeorion.log
(666.11 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
config.xml
(13.1 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by MatGB »

Which versions are you trying to run? And why 0.3.17? That one's ancient, we've been on 0.4.4 for nearly a year now. I'm on an Asus i5, different graphics card, and it runs fine for me—I'm not technically minded so the log files are beyond me, but try last weeks test release:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeori ... e/download

That worked completely fine for me (I'm playing it now in another window). It may simply be that the old versions were optimised for outdated drivers, regardless we're not directly supporting them as they've been replaced.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#34 Post by Dilvish »

Galactus wrote:In case the reason I don't get an answer is because I haven't submitted a log file, here are my config.xml file as well as the log files I can find.
The only reason that comes to mind for no answer specific to you yet is perhaps that you hadn't indicated you had tried the other things already mentioned in the thread other than using -g. Have you updated your video drivers from the manufacturer's website (not just via windows)? Also, the SDL branch mentioned earlier in the thread is now our main line, for that and many other updates I suggest you try one of our recent versions: viewtopic.php?p=76578#p76578

If you still have trouble with that, then again post your freeorion.log and freeoriond.log files (ogre won't be used anymore), and try to make sure that the log files are actually from a failed run-- the freeorion.log you attached above is from a successful game played until turn 46, at which point it looks like you intentionally quit the game, so it doesn't really help us figure out problems.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Galactus
Space Krill

#35 Post by Galactus »

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried most of what is already in this thread. Although it's not my case, I guess some people on the Internet will post a question without going through the thread first...

My video driver is up to date, updated right before I first installed the game. I update my drivers regularly, directly from the NVIDIA app.

I never thought of using SDL/SDK test builds because I would assume the last "stable" version should be more reliable than any "test" build with new untested functions.

I used the v. 0.3.17 to see if the problem lies only with the most recent version but it doesn't work on my PC either.

The game you've seen in the log file is one of many successful starts after modifying the desktop shortcut to use the -g option. Without the -g option, I get a failed starts and the attached freeorion.log file.
Attachments
freeorion.log
(558 Bytes) Downloaded 119 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#36 Post by Dilvish »

Ok, thanks for posting that log. It's a bit suggestive, in that for a while this past fall while we were working on changing some of the content parsers, I would often get crashes at that same point, right after it logs the start of DesignWnd::MainPanel::ReregisterDesigns (which is the first time any content gets parsed). It would be odd if the version you are using had that problem, but it's conceivable.
Galactus wrote:I never thought of using SDL/SDK test builds because I would assume the last "stable" version should be more reliable than any "test" build with new untested functions.
Our test builds are normally quite stable, just not so thoroughly tested and so have some chance of a bug. This current week, in fact, a small display bug crept in, causing the sidepanel 'invade' button to not indicate the correct number of troops. And the previous week there was a fairly trivial bug in the order that certain meters were displayed. So bugs do slip into the weekly builds now and then, but usually not, and when they do they are generally minor. For people that actually check in on these boards we highly recommend the weekly builds, since (especially at this point, well over 6 months since the last stable build) the current test builds will have notable advances and even some bug fixes that were not in the last stable build. Particularly based on where your game is crashing, I urge you to try one of the recent test builds; I don't recall there having been even minor bugs for the April 6 build.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Galactus
Space Krill

#37 Post by Galactus »

Ok, thanks. I'll try the latest weekly build when I get the time to do so.

Galactus
Space Krill

#38 Post by Galactus »

I installed the latest weekly build and it loads like a charm.

So...

What could be the problem with ver 0.4.4 (and the earlier versions too) ?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#39 Post by MatGB »

The most likely is that the old graphics rendering engine we were using (Ogre) was, in the version we were using, incompatible with some modern graphics cards and the drivers they use on Win7 & Win8, we've now switched to SDL, a different engine which had advantages other than driver compatibility. I think, most of this was technical stuff I tried to follow but it went over my head.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#40 Post by adrian_broher »

MatGB wrote:The most likely is that the old graphics rendering engine we were using (Ogre) was, in the version we were using, incompatible with some modern graphics cards and the drivers they use on Win7 & Win8, we've now switched to SDL, a different engine which had advantages other than driver compatibility. I think, most of this was technical stuff I tried to follow but it went over my head.
SDL is not an engine. That library 'only' abstracts away all those platform specific annoyances for getting user input from the corresponding input devices, creating windows, creating an OpenGL context to allow drawing with OpenGL and so on. For Ogre the same was mostly done by OIS. OIS didn't do some user input things properly and that's why we either need to fix OIS or to abandon OIS in favor of SDL. OIS isn't maintained anymore so the choice was naturally to replace it with SDL. Removing Ogre was just done because the only a tiny and inaccessible part of the game uses it and there won't be any development on that part anytime soon.

See also:
viewtopic.php?p=71045#p71045
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8989
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz