no longer load/run (balck screen)

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

adrenalina
Space Krill

no longer load/run (balck screen)

#1 Post by adrenalina »

Hi,
I've been playing FreeOrion since last week without any problem.
Today, as I load the saved game, the screen just goes black and nothing else happens.
I tried to load a different file, with no different result. The same thing happens if I try to start a new game. :(
What happened?
I've searched here in the forum and the only clue I found is that it should be related to "a (previous) ongoing game" that needs to be closed.
But how to do that? I can't even find my saved files :oops:

Some info:
freeorion version 0.4.4
on MAC OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

Thanks in advance

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: no longer load/run (balck screen)

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Can you locate and post (probably zipped) all the .log files in

Username/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion/

From immediately after attempting to start a new game and getting just a black screen?

To be extra useful, delete all the files in that directory before doing the test (but not the saves directory that's also in that directory, unless you don't want to keep your save files...)

Edited given Vezzra's comments below.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:To be extra useful, delete all the contents of that directory before doing the test.
Just to be sure: This means all the files in that directory, not the subfolder containing the savegames. Otherwise you won't have a saved game to load...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

adrenalina wrote:Today, as I load the saved game, the screen just goes black and nothing else happens.
I tried to load a different file, with no different result. The same thing happens if I try to start a new game.
I sometimes get the same problem, usually solved by deleting the file "config.xml" in the directory Geoff mentioned. However, IIRC I only get this problem when I run different builds of FO, so this might not apply in your case.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

adrenalina wrote:I've searched here in the forum and the only clue I found is that it should be related to "a (previous) ongoing game" that needs to be closed. But how to do that? I can't even find my saved files :oops:
When I run into that problem on Linux, it's usually because a previous game had crashed in a way that left either the server process (freeoriond) or an AI client process (freeorionca) still running, which would interfere with a new game starting up. Probably what you read about ' "a (previous) ongoing game" that needs to be closed ' is related to that, or it might have been simply referring to time when a full preexisting freeorion game is running but you just didn't notice it because it was minimized/hidden. I'm not sure how to double check running apps on MacOSX but I assume you do.

As for the server and AI client processes, checking for them can be a tad trickier. On OSX I think the same command line can work as on Linux: for the server

Code: Select all

pkill freeoriond
and for the AI client(s)

Code: Select all

pkill freeorionca
Alternatively, you can open up a GUI process manager and look for any variants of freeorion and kill/delete those processes-- here is some OSX info that might work for you:
Activity Monitor. You can find it in this folder: /Applications/Utilities/
A short way to do this is using the cmd + space to open Spotlight and then type in Activity Monitor (you should get the right suggestion very quick)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Well, the simple solution to hanging processes would be a reboot (if you don't feel like fiddeling with the Activity Monitor et al).