create a local repository for test versions

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Själe
Space Floater

create a local repository for test versions

#1 Post by Själe »

I use SmartGit. Version 6.5.4.
Speaks anything against this?

I created a folder on my harddisk.

I think, I have to clone your Master (AUR)?
Right?

Now SmartGit ask me to

"Specify the GIt or SVN repository to clone"
and desire the repository URL.

I answer with

"https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freeorion/"

next Question

"Select the type of repository you are going to clone.
Git --- SVN"

This I don't know. :)
And before I build a crash, I ask you.

The rigth URL?
Git or SVN?

You don't have to declare the sense of every step. I believe it would overcharge my English. :)

I also hope you emend ma Inglish if it's necessary (or a better sound). I know I've to improve it and hope you accept my learning by doing. :)
May be I give it back for the german translation.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: create a local repository for test versions

#2 Post by MatGB »

Only bit I can answer is the repo address, it's on Sourceforge here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/code/HEAD/tree/
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk freeorion-code

Not sure which bit you need to paste in, pretty sure it's just svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk freeorion-code
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Also, ich mache hier mal eine der seltenen Ausnahmen und antworte auf Deutsch, zwecks Reduktion potentieller Mißverständnisse ;)
Själe wrote:I use SmartGit. Version 6.5.4.
Speaks anything against this?
Ich kenne dieses Tool nicht, denke aber, daß es für deine Zwecke brauchbar sein sollte.
I think, I have to clone your Master (AUR)?
Right?
Naja, nicht so ganz. Du willst den Sourcecode für's selber Kompilieren, richtig? Den kriegst du vom offiziellen FreeOrion Repository auf Sourceforge.
Now SmartGit ask me to

"Specify the GIt or SVN repository to clone"
and desire the repository URL.

I answer with

"https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freeorion/"
Wie gesagt, nicht so ganz. Das ist eine URL für Paketmanager, um sich das Arch Linux Installationspaket für FreeOrion zu holen. Das ist ein bissi was anderes ;)

Die URL, die du brauchst, sollte sein: http://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code ... FreeOrion/
"Select the type of repository you are going to clone.
Git --- SVN"
SVN.
You don't have to declare the sense of every step. I believe it would overcharge my English. :)
Ich hoffe, meine Antwort auf Deutsch konnte dieses Problem ein bißchen mildern ;)

Själe
Space Floater

#4 Post by Själe »

Vezzra wrote:Also, ich mache hier mal eine der seltenen Ausnahmen und antworte auf Deutsch, zwecks Reduktion potentieller Mißverständnisse... Ich hoffe, meine Antwort auf Deutsch konnte dieses Problem ein bißchen mildern ;)

Danke. (Thanks;)

Don't be so mild in this time. ;) I'm afraid, that this was the easiest part of it all.
I come back to the german version of communication, if my brain is smoking.

But don't forget the important thing, that I'm no coder. Think that's the hardest hurdle. I need sometimes step to step.

SmartGit said:
"HEAD revision has been successfully cloned."

The Git-Folder looks nice. Ofcourse without a "linus.exe" ;)

So, think next step ist to start a thread in the compile section.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:I'm afraid, that this was the easiest part of it all.
You're most probably right ;)
I come back to the german version of communication, if my brain is smoking.
Alright. Just don't give yourself too much of a headache ;)
SmartGit said:
"HEAD revision has been successfully cloned."
Looks good!
So, think next step ist to start a thread in the compile section.
As you've already done. As you're on Linux, I can't help you much with compile issues there, but I've posted a small reply there anyway.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Chriss »

Freeorion Head won't compile in Arch. Current head only works with Boost < 1.56, Arch is on 1.57. You'd have to use the SDL branch. Or the freeorion-svn Aur package, which I'd suggest you install to pull in the dependencies, or have a look at. It also contains the SDL branch Repo-URL, and patches which you will probably need.

Afterwards it depends what you want to do... If you want to play, use the Aur package, forget about the rest. If you want to contribute to development, it depends. Content Script contribution may not work, since trunk and SDL have slightly different features. You can try. If you want to contribute to the SDL branch, go ahead. If you want to contribute to trunk, you need to set up a local boost 1.55 and so on...

Und falls es Kopfweh gibt... ;)
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Själe
Space Floater

#7 Post by Själe »

Chriss wrote:Afterwards it depends what you want to do...
Two of my best skills are playing and writing (of course in german;).
I play very much and so I have good chances to find errors.
So its obvious to help in game development.

I also wrote and write texts for other freeware games or checked the german orthography.
So I want to do here if it's possible.

I played real many hundred hours freeware games. So I think it's good to give some back.

To check a stable version for bugs are enough player I think. But scouting for bugs or logical errors is more attractiv during the time of development. And may be I have some ideas for game. So I have every time paper and pencil nearby during playing. :)

So I want to have the possibility to play the actual test version on linux (Knoppix).
I don't want to download evrytime the full game and read in the wiki, that there exists an user repository.
I have a little bit experience with github. But the hurdle is to compile the game.

Now I play about wine and I can't load a game. This is bad for making errors repeatable. ;)

Chriss wrote:Und falls es Kopfweh gibt... ;)

Thanks.
I have to read your post some more times I think. If I don't get it, I ask you secretly in German.

At first: Whats in this context the meaning of "Head" (not headache;)?

And I know: It shell be a game and no torture.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#8 Post by Chriss »

Head is the head revision, as in the newest. Trunk refers to the "default" branch, in case there are more than one. Currently there is, but you can forget about it since you don't use Arch linux but Knoppix (you had me confused because you mentioned AUR).

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:Two of my best skills are playing and writing (of course in german;).
I play very much and so I have good chances to find errors.
Then you're the perfect playtester. :D We most certainly need more of those.
I also wrote and write texts for other freeware games or checked the german orthography.
So I want to do here if it's possible.
There is currently nobody doing any work on the German translation. Feel free to proof read the German stringtable, or, if you think you're up to it, try to do some translation work.
But the hurdle is to compile the game.
But you have to take that hurdle only once. After that, when you got a working build environment, all you need to do to get he newest version is to update your source code from the repository and just rerun the already set up build process.

Själe
Space Floater

#10 Post by Själe »

Vezzra wrote:Then you're the perfect playtester. :D

If I have a local loadable Version. ;)

@German translate

At first I would try to correct grammer and orthography. It bumps sometimes. Some texts sounds like automatically substitute.
During correcting I learn to copy style and sound and also technical terms.

Whom have I send the corrected text?

Vezzra wrote:But you have to take that hurdle only once.
Ohjeh. Think I'm approaching yet. (see my problems in the "step by step..." thread. But I know you're MACist;)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#11 Post by Dilvish »

Själe wrote:Whom have I send the corrected text?
Make a post in this linked thread, and attach your translation to it in the form of a patch. In Linux one way to make that patch will be to open a terminal in the top FreeOrion directory and then use the command

Code: Select all

svn diff default/stringtables/de.txt > my_de_trans.patch
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:

svn diff default/stringtables/de.txt > my_de_trans.patch
IIRC he cloned the repo with git - wouldn't he have to use some git equivalent...?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#13 Post by Dilvish »

Oh, whoops! Ok, well then from Marcel's post on the topic, the best command line would be

git --no-pager diff --no-prefix fromcommit..tocommit > somefile.diff
But if there is much trouble with that then I suppose any git diff could be posted & we could just deal with the complications, or if that is trouble then the entire file could be posted.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Själe
Space Floater

#14 Post by Själe »

Hm. I thougt it's an one way repository that I build.

I'll try to build such a patch and push it.
In case of failing I upload a .zip in the linked thread.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#15 Post by Chriss »

Since you do not have write access to the repository, you can't commit directly, no. I don't know if that's possible with the way you use git with the svn repository.

What you can do, however, is tell others what changes you made, so they can do the same. The patch does that. It has nothing to do with the repository mechanism. You do not push the patch in git semantics, you create a patch file and upload it here as attachment.