Direct Serial Connect

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Revlot
Space Floater

Re: Direct Serial Connect

#16 Post by Revlot »

Dilvish wrote:Remember, this is all being brought to you by a small handful of volunteer programmers. Any feature we prioritize inherently pushes back other features. We have identified a number of solutions that should work for you, so I really don't understand why you would keep pushing on this if you really considered our position along with your own.
I understand the protracted nature of this project, and can appreciate the sensitivity of your position. Rest assured that I am NOT suggesting that you drop whatever current coding priorities that currently exist just to accommodate me. It is realistic for me to expect that my comments will be taken with a grain of salt at best, and ignored at worst.

At some point in the future the multiplayer interface will be revisited, and perhaps at that point some of my related play-experience will be taken into account - at the appropriate time.

I have put the null cable that you suggested into my amazon basket, and am investigating if my computer has an ethernet card - so far it does not show up when I go to control panel and look at my system setup. Perhaps I just don't know enough about how to discover it's presence short of dragging my desk away from the wall to get at my machine back and look with my own eyes.

I did investigate the earlier suggestion for ppp on my null modem cable - and my brain glazed over as the jargon got increasingly technical.

If I knew as much about this as you did then I wouldn't be here displaying my ignorance, and I really am thankful for any help I can get.

Thank You.
I understand that this is a work in progress and that my comments here are just comments and NOT requests for immediate code fixes.
Thank you for the work done so far - please continue with whatever part of the game you are currently working on.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#17 Post by Dilvish »

Revlot wrote:I ... am investigating if my computer has an ethernet card - so far it does not show up when I go to control panel and look at my system setup.
Hmm, well a simple first check would just be visual inspection for the ethernet port-- that's an RJ-45 socket, basically a somewhat bigger version (about twice as big) of the RJ-11 wall socket that you plug a standard telephone cord into. If you have a very slim-line laptop then it might not have one, but you can get a USB-ethernet dongle at Amazon.

**edit: note-- I just saw at the bottom of that guide that unlike Windows, Macs do not need a crossover ethernet cable for this, they would just use a regular ethernet cable. Just wanted to point that out in case any Mac folks are reading this, since I had pointed initially to a crossover cable.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Revlot
Space Floater

#18 Post by Revlot »

I have now put two of the usb-to-ethernet dongles into my Amazon cart next to the crossover ethernet cable. I will plug it in next to the usb-to-serial dongle I use for my other direct-connect cable. I would hope that the two either co-habitate nicely - or that the ethernet performs well enough to do away with the serial.

I live on a budget - so I can not get the parts today. So I will just have to relate an update to you after I have accomplished the task.

Thank you to everybody who offered some help, all was appreciated.
I understand that this is a work in progress and that my comments here are just comments and NOT requests for immediate code fixes.
Thank you for the work done so far - please continue with whatever part of the game you are currently working on.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#19 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:Hmm, well a simple first check would just be visual inspection for the ethernet port-- that's an RJ-45 socket, basically a somewhat bigger version (about twice as big) of the RJ-11 wall socket that you plug a standard telephone cord into.
Well, these days that's the most likely. But not the only possible ethernet port...

Revlot
Space Floater

#20 Post by Revlot »

Got the crossover ethernet cable and direct-connect works just fine. We have to disconnect from the wireless to start a game over the wire, then we reconnect to the wireless for using the internet on the side. The cable maintains the game when the internet is dropped out by the microwave being used. We have played several games past 300 turns, have yet to win, but play is fun so we will keep at it.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#21 Post by AndrewW »

Good to hear you got it working ok.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#22 Post by adrian_broher »

Revlot wrote:Got the crossover ethernet cable and direct-connect works just fine. We have to disconnect from the wireless to start a game over the wire, then we reconnect to the wireless for using the internet on the side. The cable maintains the game when the internet is dropped out by the microwave being used. We have played several games past 300 turns, have yet to win, but play is fun so we will keep at it.
You don't need to disconnect the wireless, just add a route so that the computers know which network card to use to access which network.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/157025
http://directaccess.richardhicks.com/20 ... s-servers/
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz