Linux got strange then died

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

godel
Space Dragon

Linux got strange then died

#1 Post by godel »

Linux was blanking out the option for some manufacturing items.
It did that for a few games, I tried to watch it, every turn went to a world and looked at manufacturing, and looking made it go away.

And a few games later the whole game died.
The start screen is up, the first screen is fine, but going into the game is a blank.
and it stays blank.
I generally get upgrades to my machine and accept them all.
So I tried to recompile. I was lazy and grabbed the commands off of the terminal that I used last, got eventually into superuser,
and tried to do what was done before.
Got a few errors, like package (loong hex number) not there or something.
and went on line, found a fix and kept going.
And at the end it said that the version was up to date.
Maybe I just downloaded and did not compile?
Anyway it doesnot work now. Any suggestions?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Linux got strange then died

#2 Post by Dilvish »

The basic cause for a black screen at game start (loading a game or starting galaxy setup) is most likely a stray server process (from a crash or some type of failure to properly shut down with game close). If you close FO, pull up a list of processes (in Ubuntu that can be via ctrl-escape), and see any instances of freeoriond, then that is your problem-- rightclick on the freeoriond process and end process (send it a kill signal or somesuch). You can also just clear that from the command line with

Code: Select all

pkill freeoriond
It may be possible also for a stray AI process (freeorionca) to linger, but I don't think that should cause a hang like you describe (and could be cleaned up in the same way).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

godel
Space Dragon

Re: Linux got strange then died

#3 Post by godel »

I rebooted and now it works.
Thanks!