FreeOrion will only run once per install without crashing

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

dirtytleilaxu
Space Krill

FreeOrion will only run once per install without crashing

#1 Post by dirtytleilaxu »

I just started playing FreeOrion 0.4.4. It ran great, at first, and I played it for probably 8-10 hours straight before saving and quitting.

The next day, attempts to start FreeOrion would result in an immediate crash, via nvoglv32.DLL (an nvidia graphics driver).

Uninstalling and reinstalling FreeOrion solves the problem, and I can start it again and load my save files. I tried deleting and editing config files, but after much research, this is the only solution I have found. Next time I close FreeOrion, I must uninstall and reinstall in order to start the game again.

After some googling, I saw a few comments from the devs which stated that graphics drivers were to blame for crashes resulting from nvoglv32.dll. Considering that the game runs fine initially, and will run fine again after uninstalling and reinstalling, this really seems like a problem in FreeOrion's own code, and not a driver problem. Or, at the very least, a driver problem that could be circumvented if properly identified.

Running Windows 7, GTX 760. Reinstalling alone doesn't help -- uninstalling first is required. This implies that some local data that is removed by the uninstaller, but NOT overwritten by reinstallation, is at fault.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this project, it's a hell of a fun game. If anyone else is having a similar issue, I hope that this can help zero in on the cause.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: FreeOrion will only run once per install without crashin

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you delete config.xml (or better yet the entire AppData directory), then running FreeOrion again doesn't know anything about any previous runs... Perhaps a weird DLL already in memory issue is to blame? Did you try restarting your system?

Regardless, have you tried the latest test version? It is reportedly a bit more stable for graphics driver issues such as this.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: FreeOrion will only run once per install without crashin

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Although it's the current "stable" release, 0.4.4 is quite outdated by now. There have been significant changes implemented in the meantime.

Please try one of our recent test builds, and report back if those work for you.

(Note: You're 0.4.4 save game files won't work with recent test builds.)