Production queue crashes

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Production queue crashes

#1 Post by MatGB »

Three times today my game has crashed on me, each time I was in the production window, two occasions I had drag & dropped something. This most recent (log attached), is on a newish game in which I've barely explored, it's not a lag or similar mid to late game overload problem.

The logfiles aren't helpful (attached), I'm switching verbose on when I reload from autosave, it's not something I've specifically tried to replicate yet, but it's not happening every time I move something, but is happening when I move stuff.

Win7, current test release (FreeOrion_2015-05-18.e5d1957_Test_Win32_Setup) using my own default folder which I'm working on some costings that shouldn't be affecting this.
Attachments
freeoriond.zip
(260.32 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Production queue crashes

#2 Post by Dilvish »

The only recent changes that come to mind are the recent addition of listbox safety checks, which should make just this kind of thing less likely. I took a look through the ProductionQueue code again but nothing jumped out at me, and I tried dragging and dropping ProductionQueue items a bunch, but had no problem with that. Until we can find a way to repeat it, it's not likely we can do much. Although if you keep having this trouble I suppose we could add more logging statements to the ProductionQueue and to ListBox so that the log files might do more to help us home in on it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I kept verbose on for awhile but got no crashes and it was making turn processing take an age, but yeah, I couldn't see any recent changes.

On the other hand, I haven't had a blue screen for a bit, maybe recent fixes have reduced the affect a bit (I honestly don't think it's related, but it might be and I don't know enough to know).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote:The only recent changes that come to mind are the recent addition of listbox safety checks, which should make just this kind of thing less likely. I took a look through the ProductionQueue code again but nothing jumped out at me, and I tried dragging and dropping ProductionQueue items a bunch, but had no problem with that. Until we can find a way to repeat it, it's not likely we can do much. Although if you keep having this trouble I suppose we could add more logging statements to the ProductionQueue and to ListBox so that the log files might do more to help us home in on it.
Hmm, I'm actually thinking the changes are making the crashes less likely, or at least less severe.

Because Winter Leaf's off school this week, and when she hasn't needed her laptop her Mum's been using it, I've been back to using my older, lower spec laptop. the one that used to get BSODs almost guaranteed within an hour of playing the game.

My insomnia has not been my friend this week, and I was awake enough to be bored at 4am. It's not nearly 4pm. I've had the game running throughout (that AI log I posted in the other thread says I started the game at 4). Not a single crash, no problems, I've messed around with the production queue, I've switched to my browser and loaded stuff up (that used to cause some BSODs for some reason, but only ever when I had FO running).

12 hours stable runtime. Sure, not been playing constantly, housework has been done, dogs walked, etc, but the game's not complained or stopped working, not even a production queue crash.

I was hesitant to post this as, well, tempting fate, but I am wondering if you fixed more than just the fleetwnd drag/drop crash in some of the recent changes. I've no idea what changes, obviously (I did, sometimes, get BSOD's on her laptop, but they were far less common hence me workign almost exclusively using that).

So, um, yeah, you might, between you, have squashed a but without knowing the cause or even you were doing it, but, y'know, yay!

Now all I have to do is install a Git dev environment on this machine as well.
Mat Bowles

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:So, um, yeah, you might, between you, have squashed a but without knowing the cause or even you were doing it, but, y'know, yay!
Yes-- the motivator was the fleetwnd crashes, but the fixes were entirely in general purpose ListBox code-- it's probably just that the FleetWnd is the place where the most dragging and dropping occurs (as well as some kinds of ListBox drag-drop behavior probably not being used anywhere else currently), is why the issues were most apparent with it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0