Crash cab4aa

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Crash cab4aa

#1 Post by AndrewW »

First game in awhile and I manage to crash it...

Load save. (Linux)
Click on the blue fleet just to the North of Huggins.
Hold down the shift key and select the other fleet in the system.
Segmentation fault.

Note if you select a fleet then the other then hold down Shift to select the other one it doesn't crash.
autosave.zip
(773.17 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
freeorion.log
(35.53 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
freeoriond.log
(24.77 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Crash cab4aa

#2 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:First game in awhile and I manage to crash it...

Load save. (Linux)
Click on the blue fleet just to the North of Huggins.
Hold down the shift key and select the other fleet in the system.
Segmentation fault.

Note if you select a fleet then the other then hold down Shift to select the other one it doesn't crash.
autosave.zip
freeorion.log
freeoriond.log
that exact error should have been fixed a week or two ago-- is cab4aa the abbreviated sha? I can't find it
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:that exact error should have been fixed a week or two ago-- is cab4aa the abbreviated sha? I can't find it
Been having issues pulling it from the new source (getting the branches, but not the default master...), so eventually ended up just pulling from the testing repository (Debian in this case).
Version.png
Version.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 2372 times

Dilvish

#4 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Been having issues pulling it from the new source (getting the branches, but not the default master...), so eventually ended up just pulling from the testing repository (Debian in this case).
THat sounds like some trouble that MatGB ran into when he tried pulling the github repo using TortoiseSVN. Which apparently is supposed to be able to work, but has some complications-- Marcel/adrian has responded there with some suggestions, you could search in Mat's posts for that. I presume you are using a client rather than command line (because I can't really imagine having that trouble at the command line)-- I very highly recommend SmartGit.

If you don't want to do that, then you can simply download a zip of the current master branch: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... master.zip

There are quite a few improvements, including a fix for this bug.
sha cab4aa
Hmm, that must be some commit that Apo made during his packaging for debian-- I find no matching Sha in our repo.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

If you're using an SVN client, you need to add /trunk to the end of the URL to get the current main version. I discovered this works, in Windows, last night.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#6 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:I presume you are using a client rather than command line (because I can't really imagine having that trouble at the command line)-- I very highly recommend SmartGit.
Command line...

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#7 Post by AndrewW »

MatGB wrote:If you're using an SVN client, you need to add /trunk to the end of the URL to get the current main version. I discovered this works, in Windows, last night.
That seems to have done the trick, thanks.

Had tried /master before but didn't have any luck that way.

Dilvish

#8 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Command line...
AndrewW wrote:
MatGB wrote:If you're using an SVN client, you need to add /trunk ...
That seems to have done the trick, thanks.
Eh? Could you show just what command finally worked for you? Are you using git at the command line, or svn?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#9 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:Eh? Could you show just what command finally worked for you? Are you using git at the command line, or svn?

Code: Select all

svn co https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/trunk

adrian_broher
Programmer

#10 Post by adrian_broher »

Dilvish wrote:is cab4aa the abbreviated sha? I can't find it
Me neither, but: http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-game ... /rules#n10
and: http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-game ... b498c8b287

I assume that Apo used a commit id from a repository that wasn't properly migrated yet, except I told everybody NOT to do so. *sigh*

Also Apo doesn't use the standard build process to identify the FO version. We will (and can't) never support any version from debian because we can't identify the version in the first place.
Marcel/adrian has responded there with some suggestions, you could search in Mat's posts for that
I only explained why Mat was seeing the whole repository. I didn't bless any usage of SVN. This way of getting the source code is and will be unsupported because:
Dilvish wrote:If you don't want to do that, then you can simply download a zip of the current master branch: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... master.zip
Keep in mind: the version string is created at build time and requires a git repo.
Please don't make such suggestions as it will break the build process.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish

#11 Post by Dilvish »

adrian_broher wrote:Also Apo doesn't use the standard build process to identify the FO version. We will (and can't) never support any version from debian because we can't identify the version in the first place.
Hmm, well I would imagine that if we bring this problem to Apo's attention, he could modify his build process so that it winds up using the same sha excerpt in the version string as we would expect; or perhaps it would be better if we directly support this by providing for a cmake variable VERSION_SHA_EXCERPT to be specified, and only extracting the excerpt via git if that variable is undefined?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#12 Post by AndrewW »

svn co https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/trunk
Just for an update, it seemed like it was working but didn't end up doing it:

svn: E130003: The XML response contains invalid XML

Dilvish

#13 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Just for an update, it seemed like it was working but didn't end up doing it:
ok, well, you're on linux IIRC, so it's easy for you to simply install git and then

git clone git://github.com/freeorion/freeorion
That will create a "freeorion" directory, with the 'master' branch checked out. Anytime you want to update it you just go within that directory tree and

git pull
should do it.

Note: with our current version script it seems you may need to set up a build folder rather than try compiling "in source".

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#14 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:ok, well, you're on linux IIRC, so it's easy for you to simply install git and then

git clone git://github.com/freeorion/freeorion
Of course Linux, what else is there¿ Unless you want to pay for overpriced Apple hardware anyways...

Was already thinking of trying git, will give it a go and see how that works.

Apo
Space Squid

#15 Post by Apo »

Hi folks,

I think AndrewW was right to report this issue here in this forum.

Just FYI how I came up with "cab4aa" in the first place and how I package versions of FreeOrion for Debian. If you disagree or if there is a better way to do it, please correct me and point me to the better alternative.

Every Linux (and even *BSD) maintainer prefers a well defined upstream release. I will always prefer a source tarball release over cloning a git repository and creating my own tarball. Unfortunately FreeOrion has never released a pure Linux source tarball release. Such a release should only include the sources without pre-compiled binaries. Hence I clone the upstream repository on your exact release date and package my own Debian compatible source tarball. As you can see for version 0.4.4 of FreeOrion in Debian stable, the Debian version matches exactly your upstream release for 0.4.4 but I stripped all problematic or unnecessary files from it, since there wasn't a source tarball release in the first place.

In March 2015 Dirvish requested an update of FreeOrion, so I packaged version 0.4.4+git20150327-1 of FreeOrion. This version string indicates that this version of FreeOrion is a git snapshot release from March 2015. Since Debian packages are based on tarball releases ( a well defined snapshot of FreeOrion), I need to create my own tarballs for snapshot releases. I also have to insert the version string myself, (In this case GitCommit), because I don't see a simple way to achieve that without build-depending on Git or other tools. I simply replace the ???, the default version string, with the first eight characters of the Git commit. (Back then I only used six characters)

My usual packaging policy is as follows:

I only package upstream releases which are marked as stable.
I prefer source tarball releases over Git/SVN/Bazaar/etc snapshots because a source tarball is a well defined snapshot already.

If you release 0.4.5 before the 20th of August, I will package that release. If you don't release 0.4.5 before this date, I will package another Git snapshot. The next Debian Freeze will probably be at the end of 2016. So how do I come up with August, the 20th?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WilyWerewolf/ReleaseSchedule

I care about Ubuntu a little and of course I would prefer that always the latest and greatest version of FreeOrion is part of an Ubuntu release. The 20th of August is the last date when Debian packages from unstable automatically migrate to Ubuntu. After that, Debian packages won't be synced to Ubuntu anymore. This process starts over again in November for the next release of Ubuntu (which will be Ubuntu 16.04 then).

From my point of view, I could only package stable releases. (0.4.3, 0.4.4, 0.4.5, etc). Packages from Debian unstable or Debian testing contain bugs, no doubt about it. The whole reason for creating those branches is to identify bugs and to fix them before the next stable release. If I'm aware of (upstream) bugs, I will forward them to you. Dedicated players like AndrewW will skip the middleman and inform you guys directly. Thanks!

Hope that helps to understand the packaging workflow a little.