Possible bug with refueling

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

Possible bug with refueling

#1 Post by Kassiopeija »

Please look at the 2 screenies posted. The game actually shows to me that the Scout can reach its target to the left side of the map. however, it will run out of fuel in the middle somewhere. This is an obnoxious behaviour because usually, if a ship cannot reach a certain destination because of lack of fuel, the game doesn't show it.

I think that this is, because the scout doesn't get refuel at point 4 (which is actually within supply range but not on a node itself), but being back at 4 fuel at that point would mean it could make the jump to the left side to be back in supply again and then, finally, reach its destination.

I don't know if it's ment to be that ships are only refuel directly on a node or not, but if not, then the game shouldn't show me that the ship can reach places which it apparently cannot.
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (208.2 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (212.64 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Possible bug with refueling

#2 Post by MatGB »

The current behaviour is that you have to stop to refuel, passing through from one side of supply to another doesn't refuel you, but yes, the map implies you can get there without stopping, it is annoying, and I keep forgetting to mention it myself.

NB: I like the behaviour that you have to stop, and would like it to imply for consistency with other "in supply" effects, but if it needs to be changed to stop this sort of thing I'd rather we stopped this sort of thing.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:NB: I like the behaviour that you have to stop, and would like it to imply for consistency with other "in supply" effects, but if it needs to be changed to stop this sort of thing I'd rather we stopped this sort of thing.
I expect we should be able to fix it so it shows you have to stop (best, showing you stop and making you stop but letting you set the full path at the outset). I'll try to take a look at it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#4 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:I expect we should be able to fix it so it shows you have to stop (best, showing you stop and making you stop but letting you set the full path at the outset). I'll try to take a look at it.
Could change the circle to a different color to indicate a point you have to stop at.

Dilvish

#5 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Could change the circle to a different color to indicate a point you have to stop at.
You can take care of that if you want. As far as I'm concerned, so long as the circle shows that you stop there, I don't care about making it a special color.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#6 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:
AndrewW wrote:Could change the circle to a different color to indicate a point you have to stop at.
You can take care of that if you want. As far as I'm concerned, so long as the circle shows that you stop there, I don't care about making it a special color.
Just meant that could be an indication that there's a stop there. Not sure what you have in mind to indicate a stop.

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Just meant that could be an indication that there's a stop there. Not sure what you have in mind to indicate a stop.
The flight path has numbered circles that show when each turn ends, that's the circles we're talkiing about, right? So if one of those lands exactly at a system, then you know you are stopping/pausing at the system. I don't think anything more is needed. You might or might not be able to infer from inspection of the flight path that you could have continued on slightly farther except you needed to refuel, but that doesn't seem important to me. Certainly we can wait to see if it seems important and special coloring of the marker could be added later.

What is seeming more important is, if there are multiple places it could pause to refuel, having it choose the one that loses the least travel. But I may not even worry about that for the very initial implementation; I'll see how it goes.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#8 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:The flight path has numbered circles that show when each turn ends, that's the circles we're talkiing about, right?

Yes that would be the one.
Dilvish wrote:What is seeming more important is, if there are multiple places it could pause to refuel, having it choose the one that loses the least travel. But I may not even worry about that for the very initial implementation; I'll see how it goes.
Best choice would be good, but agreed, that is something that can come later.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#9 Post by Kassiopeija »

Dilvish wrote:The flight path has numbered circles that show when each turn ends, that's the circles we're talkiing about, right? So if one of those lands exactly at a system, then you know you are stopping/pausing at the system. I don't think anything more is needed.
That would be fine. In the above screenshot the number 5 waypoint sould be the last to be shown, afterwards the pointed line would end at the node afterwards without a number 6 shown (this is the usual behaviour if a ship flies into a region and it fuel depletes to 0)

Dilvish

#10 Post by Dilvish »

Kassiopeija wrote:In the above screenshot the number 5 waypoint sould be the last to be shown, afterwards the pointed line would end at the node afterwards without a number 6 shown (this is the usual behaviour if a ship flies into a region and it fuel depletes to 0)
Er, no (hopefully). As described above, that's just my fallback plan, if I can't get the preferred behavior described above working.

Dilvish

#11 Post by Dilvish »

Ok, well, I've fixed the bug about the movement algorithm thinking the fleet had refueled even if it didn't stop at a supplied system.

The nice-to-have part about automatically causing a stop at a suitable spot to refuel is going to have to wait until later (I probably shouldn't even try to squeeze it in before 0.4.5).

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:(I probably shouldn't even try to squeeze it in before 0.4.5)
The release manager is eternally grateful :D