Rogue rogue fleet [build 2015-06-10.e5e72d6]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Rogue rogue fleet [build 2015-06-10.e5e72d6]

#1 Post by AndrewW »

Just starting a game and ran across a ship with 0 structure.
Weird Fleet.png
Weird Fleet.png (127.94 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
With that stealth, should I even be seeing it?
savedgame.zip
(58.93 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Rogue rogue fleet / Drydock [build 2015-06-10.e5e72d6]

#2 Post by AndrewW »

Same game.

Drydock was built and repaired my ships the same turn, but no situation report showing the repair.
Drydock Repair.png
Drydock Repair.png (49.51 KiB) Viewed 1827 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

AndrewW wrote:...no situation report showing the repair.
Enable showing sitreps with errors in options.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#4 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Enable showing sitreps with errors in options.
No change.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Rogue rogue fleet [build 2015-06-10.e5e72d6]

#5 Post by MatGB »

Recent change that I think applies, Dilvish set it so that if you had a ship killed by something you can't see, you get a white marker on the map telling you there's something there, or at least was, as a reminder. Very useful for things like Asteroid Snails when you've not got Radar yet, etc.

Regarding the drydock-on-same-turn thing, yeah, ongoing thing I mentioned awhileback, I think I might solve it by stopping docks working on their first turn (as I really want to slow them down anyway), no idea what causes it, possibly linked to the drydock+stargate timing issue?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#6 Post by AndrewW »

MatGB wrote:Recent change that I think applies, Dilvish set it so that if you had a ship killed by something you can't see, you get a white marker on the map telling you there's something there, or at least was, as a reminder. Very useful for things like Asteroid Snails when you've not got Radar yet, etc.
Later it did turn into an Asteroid Snail so likely. (Was only turn 5, couldn't see them yet).
MatGB wrote:Regarding the drydock-on-same-turn thing, yeah, ongoing thing I mentioned awhileback, I think I might solve it by stopping docks working on their first turn (as I really want to slow them down anyway), no idea what causes it, possibly linked to the drydock+stargate timing issue?
Didn't have any stargates, though doesn't mean it's not the same issue.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

To expand. From what/how I understand it, the game does multiple passes of the effects engine to work out what it should be doing, resolving conflicts, etc.

If you move a ship to a system with a drydock set to stargate send, then the sitrep saying you got repaired appears but it sends you elsewhere without repairing you.

So I suspect that the sitreps are generated in an early effects pass (possibly before the building is complete or fully registered as "there"?), but the repair effect happens in a later pass, so the sitreps trigger when they shouldn't for stargates, and don't trigger when they should for newly built docks.

Pure hypothesis, but it fits the observed effects.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Meters, such as ship structure, are a bit of a special case in effects execution, in that they store their initial and current values each turn, and the current value is reset to equal current a few times turn a turn after which meter-modifications are re-run. Movement effects, such as a stargate, only have a single value, so any effect that modifies them is permanent, in the sense that there's no way to reset to the initial position afterwards.

Perhaps the repair effect should check to make sure there are no active stargates that could be moving ships out of the system mid-turn?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

That would work, if a drydock can't work on the turn it's built, or if there's an outgoing stargate (as well as the other restrictions I'm planning) then we've at least gotten rid of the weird sitreps or lack of.
Mat Bowles