some tiny tooltip bugs

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: some tiny tooltip bugs

#16 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote:I'm looking into that-- it's pretty clear to me that's not how it was intended. Before the key change was made all the buildings would be produced at once (and in the case of terraforming, iirc, each one would then process just fine). When the code was changed to block that, the accompanying comment is

Code: Select all

// check location condition before each building is created, so
                // that buildings being produced can prevent subsequent
                // buildings completions on the same turn from going through
There is also essentially the same code and comment for ships. Note the phrase "on the same turn" -- this clearly wasn't intended to (and doesn't) remove all instances of the same building/ship at the same location from the queue; having it remove only ones that happen to complete on the same turn as a first blocking one (for which current content has no ship examples) simply creates a micromanagement headache, so I don't think that was the intent.

Anyone object to me changing this so the items don't get deleted from the queue?
Not at all, wish I'd mentioned the annoyance years ago now (it was one of those things I learnt so early it predates contributing and I'm so used to it).
Kassiopeija wrote:
Dilvish wrote:Care to submit a Pull Request on github for it?
I just did, but actually I have no idea if I did it correctly... :shrug:
Eh, good try, almost but not quite-- when you see something like
Kassiopeija wants to merge 1,151 commits into release-0.4.4 from master
when you probably only have one commit, that's a red flag :) And anytime github says it can't automatically figure out how to do the merge, then that's a red flag also (that actually blocks things). I expect the problem relates to the fact that you're working with your master branch, and have probably made past changes there, and now when you submit your master branch for the PR git & github get all confused & can't even merge in the change. I explained a bit about how to keep things cleaner, in a comment to the PR. Note, in your PR github also shows lots of old line comments from other commits your PR was pulling in, just scroll to the very bottom for my comment. Don't be disheartened-- you're not the first to do this here, we're all (most of us) still getting used to working with git & github. I hope you are game to take the time to straighten things up.
What he said, I've done worse more than once and nearly had things end up in the repo, I've found creating a new branch, ideally taking it from the tracking master, is the easiest approach, but it appears every Git GUI has a different system, which makes teaching people harder.

From what I can see the work you've done is right though, it's just, well,

Code: Select all

Sorry, we could not display the entire diff because too many files (810) changed. 
(are you using Linux, Windows or Mac? I learnt Git on Windows then am relearning on Linux so can walk you through stuff if you need it for Windows.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#17 Post by Kassiopeija »

I'm just afraid I might do more good than harm, as I clearly don't really understand what GitHub is supposed to do... But I was in a kinda hurry yesterday evening so I just made an account, and tried to create a submit using "fork". However, the button was greyed-out so I had to select something from the pulldown menu and as I recall it was something with Master....

BTW I'm running Win7, but I will try later again perhaps for better results. Actually all I need for is a single way to get this feedback (like, bugreports), looks probably much more difficult for starters than it really is. Although I'd appreciate some hints here^^

Speaking of bugreports, I just noted in my current game that the tec "N-Dimensional Assemblies" gives all my planets +10 infrastructure (see bolded):

from "techs.txt"
Tech
name = "CON_NDIM_STRC"
description = "CON_NDIM_STRC_DESC"
short_description = "POPULATION_SHORT_DESC"
techtype = Application
category = "CONSTRUCTION_CATEGORY"
researchcost = 450 * [[TECH_COST_MULTIPLIER]]
researchturns = 9
prerequisites = [
"CON_FRC_ENRG_STRC"
"LRN_NDIM_SUBSPACE"
]
effectsgroups =
EffectsGroup
scope = OwnedBy empire = Source.Owner
effects = SetTargetConstruction value = Value + 10
graphic = "icons/tech/n-dimensional_structures.png"

but the game lacks any internal mentioning of this (I didn't know until now)

from "en.txt"

CON_NDIM_STRC
N-Dimensional Structures

CON_NDIM_STRC_DESC
'''Increases Population capacity by planet size on all habitable planets; Tiny: +2, Small: +4, Medium: +6, Large: +8, Huge: +10.

The primary limiting factors on a planets population capacity are environmental desirability and space. By phasing basic infrastructure development into multiple dimensions, spatial limitations are all but eliminated, and under ideal environmental conditions, the maximum population of a planet can be greatly increased.

Of all the bizarre feats of applied physics, the ability to to fold space onto itself has the most direct and profound influence on structural form and design. The potential is endless, literally as hallways are made to bend back upon their beginning, or given a twist so that their ceiling becomes their floor. As well, the concept of urban sprawl becomes laughable, as any number of people may fit into an arbitrarily small volume, safely tucked into an adjacent plane of existence.'''

edit:
BTW any news on what is intended with infrastructure? I assume this stat is supposed to act as some sort of place limitation (just like the number of tiles planets in GalCiv has) but, as of now, the game allows to cross 0 infra so no limitation is present at all. I think for the AI it would be quite a buff because they are still building alot of buildings everywhere which drains their production and also their defense regen.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#18 Post by Kassiopeija »

Terraforming_Reverse gives out an ERROR on the last instance (although it still passes)

I think this is tight to

BuildingType
name = "BLD_TERRAFORM_REVERT"
description = "BLD_TERRAFORM_REVERT_DESC"
buildcost = 150
buildtime = 6
location = And [
Planet
Not Contains Building name = "BLD_TERRAFORM"
Not Contains Building name = "BLD_TERRAFORM_REVERT"
OwnedBy empire = Source.Owner
Not Planet type = [Asteroids GasGiant]
Not Planet type = LocalCandidate.OriginalType
]

but is this a real error or just artificial, the building seems to work just fine....
Attachments
Terraform_Reverse_ERROR.jpg
Terraform_Reverse_ERROR.jpg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Kassiopeija wrote:Terraforming_Reverse gives out an ERROR on the last instance (although it still passes)
This "ERROR" is just an interface issue due to a missing stringtable entry. This has no impact on the function of the condition.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#20 Post by Kassiopeija »

while we're at it, there's an ERROR with the new 2 Artificial Planets thingys in the tooltip as well, although also passes
Attachments
ArtParaWorld.jpg
ArtParaWorld.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
ArtExoWorld.jpg
ArtExoWorld.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 1715 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Looks like the tech name is being looked up in the stringtable, then the already-translated-name is looked up again, and since there's no stringtable key equal to the translated name, you get such an error.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#22 Post by Kassiopeija »

then there's those 2. I'm getting a SitRep that my planet has lost population from a BioAttack, but actually that is a GasGiant Outpost which hasn't population at all
LostPop1.jpg
LostPop1.jpg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
LostPop2.jpg
LostPop2.jpg (16.06 KiB) Viewed 1706 times

and here is something wonky with the Infrastructure-meter of the GasGiant. The toopltip shows that it should rise to +10, but it will stay at 0 forever, Because of this, the shields of the Gas Giant will need 390 turns to rise up completely... that is a little long....
InfrastructureBug.jpg
InfrastructureBug.jpg (86.11 KiB) Viewed 1706 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#23 Post by Dilvish »

Kassiopeija wrote:and here is something wonky with the Infrastructure-meter of the GasGiant. The toopltip shows that it should rise to +10, but it will stay at 0 forever
Hmm, yes -- outposts have their construction meter reset to zero each turn. I have now adjusted the NDimensional Structures tech so it won't give that pointless bonus to outposts.
Because of this, the shields of the Gas Giant will need 390 turns to rise up completely... that is a little long....
Yes it is. For the techs that increase shield regen I'll take a look at making sure they get at least a little bit of improved regen even if infrastructure is at zero.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by MatGB »

Kassiopeija wrote:then there's those 2. I'm getting a SitRep that my planet has lost population from a BioAttack, but actually that is a GasGiant Outpost which hasn't population at all
Happened due to a change in the way the weapons work (they used to target just Organic species, now they'll kill everyone, but we forgot this would let them attack outposts, it'll be fixed in the next test release)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#25 Post by Kassiopeija »

Dilvish wrote:Yes it is. For the techs that increase shield regen I'll take a look at making sure they get at least a little bit of improved regen even if infrastructure is at zero.
A few days ago I've had shield regen based on MaxShield value, but the problem with this is that then they'll regen even when a planet is under siege, and planets became un-invadeable.

Dilvish

#26 Post by Dilvish »

Kassiopeija wrote:A few days ago I've had shield regen based on MaxShield value, but the problem with this is that then they'll regen even when a planet is under siege, and planets became un-invadeable.
Right, I'm using a structure like what I suggested to Sloth for his Fortress PR earlier today.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish

#27 Post by Dilvish »

Dilvish wrote:
Because of this, the shields of the Gas Giant will need 390 turns to rise up completely... that is a little long....
Yes it is. For the techs that increase shield regen I'll take a look at making sure they get at least a little bit of improved regen even if infrastructure is at zero.
I've put in some changes to this & also buffed the garrison techs a bit as has been discussed elsewhere.