some tiny tooltip bugs

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

some tiny tooltip bugs

#1 Post by Kassiopeija »

version is 0.4.4+ [build 2015-06-15.1daea13] MSVC 2013

in en.txt (and I suppose in the other language files as well) following errors:

BLD_IMPERIAL_PALACE_DESC
'''Increases [[encyclopedia SUPPLY_TITLE]] line range by 1, [[encyclopedia INFRASTRUCTURE_TITLE]] by 20, [[encyclopedia DEFENSE_TITLE]] by 5, and [[encyclopedia TROOP_TITLE]] by 3. Also sets the owner's Capital for the empire.

--> must be 2

GRO_ENERGY_META_DESC
'''Increases max [[encyclopedia FUEL_TITLE]] on all ships by 2, max [[encyclopedia DEFENSE_TITLE]] on all planets by 5, max [[encyclopedia SHIELDS_TITLE]] on all planets by 5, target [[encyclopedia INDUSTRY_TITLE]] on all planets with the Industry focus by 0.2 per Population, and target [[encyclopedia RESEARCH_TITLE]] on all planets with the Research focus by 0.5 per Population.

--> must be 10 & 50

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: some tiny tooltip bugs

#2 Post by MatGB »

Well spotted—the tooltips come directly from the Pedia, which is also wrong, I'll get these fixed this evening, if you spot anything else out, the run up to a new release is the absolute best time to get them fixed so keep them coming (specifically, ship parts used to have to have the effects written into the description, but now the system auto generates info on that, so we need to remove any stats in the descriptions that are duplicated by the system generated stuff, I've been doing it when I notice it but I miss more than I spot I suspect).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Kassiopeija »

I'm currently playing a game with the new build, 450 systems, to get a better feeling where the changes are going to and I'm positively surprised about most things.

There's a new sub-routine [[ENQUEUE_BUILD_ONE_PER_PLANET]] which permits building the same building twice or more (by accident I suppose when the game gets laggy) but this tag has been omitted on terraforming & terraforming_reversion. Why is this? I'm thinking that exactly there it'll be most helpful as one got a lot of micro with queueing terraforming, isn't it? I've moded that into the code and it seems to work fine...

BuildingType
name = "BLD_TERRAFORM"
description = "BLD_TERRAFORM_DESC"
buildcost = 200 * (1 + Target.DistanceFromOriginalType)
buildtime = 8
location = And [
Planet
Not Contains Building name = "BLD_TERRAFORM"
Not Contains Building name = "BLD_TERRAFORM_REVERT"
OwnedBy empire = Source.Owner
TargetPopulation low = 1
Not Planet type = [Asteroids GasGiant]
Not Planet environment = [Uninhabitable Good]
Not And [
Species name = "SP_EXOBOT"
Planet environment = Adequate
]
]
EnqueueLocation = [[ENQUEUE_BUILD_ONE_PER_PLANET]]

or do I miss something here?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Yes, good catch.

Care to submit a Pull Request on github for it? This is an easy enough change for me to just go ahead and make, but if you submit the PR that will be even easier for me/us, and then their will be a record that this was from you; then we can see on the gGitHub stats/charts that our pool of contributors is growing nicely :D
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

*ahem* we discussed it Dilvish, and you observed that sometimes you want to queue more than one terraform on a planet so it was deliberately taken out of the enque changes, and I'd like to keep it that way myself (balance wise it matters not either way, but a player can justify queueing a second one with the current way it's scripted to work.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Kassiopeija »

MatGB wrote:*ahem* we discussed it Dilvish, and you observed that sometimes you want to queue more than one terraform on a planet so it was deliberately taken out of the enque changes, and I'd like to keep it that way myself (balance wise it matters not either way, but a player can justify queueing a second one with the current way it's scripted to work.
well now I'm confused, because I once tried that (in an older build) but it didn't work out... once the first terraforming was completed it did cancel out all the others... so the only way to do it was one by one (the same did happen to all other buildings, for example, if queued 3 Basic Shipyards...)

So now the official mechanic should mean I can enqueue, eg., 3* terraforming to get a planet from poor--> good in 8 turns?

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:*ahem* we discussed it Dilvish, and you observed that sometimes you want to queue more than one terraform on a planet so it was deliberately taken out of the enque changes, and I'd like to keep it that way myself (balance wise it matters not either way, but a player can justify queueing a second one with the current way it's scripted to work.
I was responding to the first post, not the later one-- not sure why I didn't see those additional posts come in before my response was submitted.

Kassiopeija wrote:well now I'm confused, because I once tried that (in an older build) but it didn't work out... once the first terraforming was completed it did cancel out all the others...
It would have caused the others to be held up for a turn or two, perhaps you misinterpreted that and deleted them before they got cleared up to progress again?

So now the official mechanic should mean I can enqueue, eg., 3* terraforming to get a planet from poor--> good in 8 turns?
Not in just 8 turns, no, (maybe 10-12 turns) when each one completes it puts the others on hold until it processes and is removed from the planet.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

What you need to do is make sure they don't complete on the same turn, if you queue three at once then they all finish building at once and do the exact same thing together.

But if they're queued to complete after each other (I tend to push one to the top of my prod queue and the second to the bottom), then the first completes, stopping progress on the second (and subsequent), but the next turn the price of terraforming doubles and all the work already put in is applied, so the 2nd building will be just under half way through.

Ideally we need a much better UI to terraform all the way to the top but I've not got around to thinking about it (it could be done, I think, some way of costing the building depending on how far from ideal the planet is, then using something like the Gaia scripts to slowly improve it over time, or similar.
Mat Bowles

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote:
I was responding to the first post, not the later one-- not sure why I didn't see those additional posts come in before my response was submitted.
I know that feeling, it was only 20 minutes apart but sometimes forum software is weird ;-)
Mat Bowles

Dilvish

#10 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:What you need to do is make sure they don't complete on the same turn, if you queue three at once then they all finish building at once and do the exact same thing together.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure that even in that case, the first one to complete will pause/halt the other two, even if they would otherwise have completed on that turn. Are you sure you've actually seen that?

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#11 Post by Kassiopeija »

aha I see, they all get enqueued by the same costs, but once the first finises the costs of the others get increased and will need additional turns to complete.
so the only thing to keep an eye out is to not enqueue to many of them because there seems to be no refund once the planet hits Good while other terraforming projects are still open^^

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote:
MatGB wrote:What you need to do is make sure they don't complete on the same turn, if you queue three at once then they all finish building at once and do the exact same thing together.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure that even in that case, the first one to complete will pause/halt the other two, even if they would otherwise have completed on that turn. Are you sure you've actually seen that?
Not sure, no, I remember it happening but it would've been a long time ago and it was one of those "not doing that again" things.

I'll test it.
Mat Bowles

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

Confirmed, if two complete the same turn only one appears on the planet, attached is a Linux save for the turn before they complete, they're at the top of the queue.

Not a good way of doing it
Attachments
FreeOrion_Magic_Olbas_0197_20150618_000322.sav.zip
(875.97 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Mat Bowles

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#14 Post by Kassiopeija »

Dilvish wrote:Care to submit a Pull Request on github for it?
I just did, but actually I have no idea if I did it correctly... :shrug:

Dilvish

#15 Post by Dilvish »

I'm looking into that-- it's pretty clear to me that's not how it was intended. Before the key change was made all the buildings would be produced at once (and in the case of terraforming, iirc, each one would then process just fine). When the code was changed to block that, the accompanying comment is

Code: Select all

// check location condition before each building is created, so
                // that buildings being produced can prevent subsequent
                // buildings completions on the same turn from going through
There is also essentially the same code and comment for ships. Note the phrase "on the same turn" -- this clearly wasn't intended to (and doesn't) remove all instances of the same building/ship at the same location from the queue; having it remove only ones that happen to complete on the same turn as a first blocking one (for which current content has no ship examples) simply creates a micromanagement headache, so I don't think that was the intent.

Anyone object to me changing this so the items don't get deleted from the queue?

Kassiopeija wrote:
Dilvish wrote:Care to submit a Pull Request on github for it?
I just did, but actually I have no idea if I did it correctly... :shrug:
Eh, good try, almost but not quite-- when you see something like
Kassiopeija wants to merge 1,151 commits into release-0.4.4 from master
when you probably only have one commit, that's a red flag :) And anytime github says it can't automatically figure out how to do the merge, then that's a red flag also (that actually blocks things). I expect the problem relates to the fact that you're working with your master branch, and have probably made past changes there, and now when you submit your master branch for the PR git & github get all confused & can't even merge in the change. I explained a bit about how to keep things cleaner, in a comment to the PR. Note, in your PR github also shows lots of old line comments from other commits your PR was pulling in, just scroll to the very bottom for my comment. Don't be disheartened-- you're not the first to do this here, we're all (most of us) still getting used to working with git & github. I hope you are game to take the time to straighten things up.