Unidentified fleet [build 2015-07-09.c09762a]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Unidentified fleet [build 2015-07-09.c09762a]

#1 Post by AndrewW »

This fleet appeared early, before I had much detection so normal enough, but still appears even with a detection strength of 210? Guessing perhaps something that got destroyed but was never cleared.
Fleet.png
Fleet.png (126.42 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Unidentified fleet [build 2015-07-09.c09762a]

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Right, if it got destroyed out of your sight, your client can never know it was destroyed, and that little ghost ship will just haunt the system... spoooookyyyyy :D

I don't really think it is a problem, and nothing comes to mind to prevent it-- we can't bake into the client some rule to stop showing those things once you get Detection Strength X.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish: I don't remember all the relevant changes to stealth, but perhaps you know why it's showing a ship as having 65k stealth? Seems like if it wasn't for that, that ship info should have been marked as stale for the player's empire...

Dilvish

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Dilvish: I don't remember all the relevant changes to stealth, but perhaps you know why it's showing a ship as having 65k stealth? Seems like if it wasn't for that, that ship info should have been marked as stale for the player's empire...
Geoff, that was your own move, hehe. That can only be a ship that killed (well, or at least attacked) one of the players' ships while that first ship was stealthed to the player. So the player gets basic info on it to remind him it was there, and you wound up setting stealth to 65k for that so that it wouldn't get immediately ignored as stale info.

I guess one option that we hadn't considered before which comes to mind now is that we could have a UserString BASIC_VIS_SHIP_STEALTH, and the game checks for that string and if present casts it to a float and uses that for the stealth instead of 65k. It might make sense to let that value be 150 or something like that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:That can only be a ship that killed (well, or at least attacked) one of the players' ships while that first ship was stealthed to the player. So the player gets basic info on it to remind him it was there, and you wound up setting stealth to 65k for that so that it wouldn't get immediately ignored as stale info.
Shouldn't info about the ship be revealed and handled better now, after other changes to how info is revealed / stored for ships that attack a player during combat, which I think was done to avoid such immediately-stale info situations?

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Dilvish wrote:That can only be a ship that killed (well, or at least attacked) one of the players' ships while that first ship was stealthed to the player. So the player gets basic info on it to remind him it was there, and you wound up setting stealth to 65k for that so that it wouldn't get immediately ignored as stale info.
Shouldn't info about the ship be revealed and handled better now, after other changes to how info is revealed / stored for ships that attack a player during combat, which I think was done to avoid such immediately-stale info situations?
This stealth setting seems part and parcel of that, and, to my memory, was one of the last (if not the last) of the substantive changes as part of that work.

I don't know if it's just that SmartGit is just way better then the SVN GUI I had used, or if it's partly inherent in git, but it seems much easier to track down this kind of history in git. The stealth change was from 2c92f5a6, which was done on the same day as the primary combat-stealth-attack commit 84d07d83. It seems to me that the later related commits were just very minor bugfixes and slight reorganizations. But perhaps I'm overlooking some aspect of this that you're thinking of.